Calculating Arc Length of a Circle: What's the Correct Formula?

In summary, the task is to find the arc length from point (0,3) clockwise to (2,sqrt(5)) along the circle defined by x2 + y2 = 9, using the arc length formula for integrals. The attempt at solving this without calculus was unsuccessful, but using polar coordinates and the formula s = rθ, the arc length is found to be approximately 2.1892.
icesalmon

Homework Statement

Find the Arc Length from (0,3) clockwise to (2,sqrt(5)) along the circle defined by x2 + y2 = 9

Homework Equations

Arc Length formula for integrals

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the correct answer at 3arcsin(2/3), but I tried to do this without calculus the first time using the formula s = (r2θ)/2 but I seem to have lost what I once knew from geometry.
I used the vectors u = <0,3> and v = <2,sqrt(5)> by the points I was given and the origin (0,0) I used the formula cos(θ) = ( u . v )/ ( ||u|| ||v||) the . here denotes the dot product. Solving for theta I have θ=cos-1(u.v)/(||u|| ||v||) and I somehow ended up with an answer roughly 90 times as large. I know it's something frustratingly basic I've mis-remembered or screwed up here. But I'm not sure what it is. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to define a small length element dl on the circle at position (x,y) ... changing to polar coordinates would help here.
Without calculus, the arc length is given by ##s=r\theta##

if I let x = rcos(θ) and y = rsin(θ) I have r2(cos2θ+ sin2θ) = 9 and r = 3. if I take dr/dθ and square it I get 1. for the bounds, I believe I have 48.2° ≤ θ ≤ 90°.

icesalmon said:

Homework Statement

Find the Arc Length from (0,3) clockwise to (2,sqrt(5)) along the circle defined by x2 + y2 = 9

Homework Equations

Arc Length formula for integrals

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the correct answer at 3arcsin(2/3), but I tried to do this without calculus the first time using the formula s = (r2θ)/2 but I seem to have lost what I once knew from geometry.
I used the vectors u = <0,3> and v = <2,sqrt(5)> by the points I was given and the origin (0,0) I used the formula cos(θ) = ( u . v )/ ( ||u|| ||v||) the . here denotes the dot product. Solving for theta I have θ=cos-1(u.v)/(||u|| ||v||) and I somehow ended up with an answer roughly 90 times as large. I know it's something frustratingly basic I've mis-remembered or screwed up here. But I'm not sure what it is. Thanks in advance.

If you want the arc length geometrically (perhaps trigonometrically would be better terminology) then just use
Arc length = R(θ21) ,

where θ2 = π/2

and θ1 = arccos(2/3)​

I'm getting 2 and some change.
thanks.

Last edited:
And make sure you use radian measure. Degrees won't work.

icesalmon said:
I'm getting 125 and some change.
thanks.

What does this mean?

The circumference of the whole circle of radius 3 is 6*pi = 18.85

sorry I'm getting 2.189182969

icesalmon said:
sorry I'm getting 2.189182969

Correct. ##3\arctan \frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}##

Related to Calculating Arc Length of a Circle: What's the Correct Formula?

What is the definition of arc length of a circle?

The arc length of a circle is the distance along the edge of the circle, also known as the circumference, from one point on the circle to another point on the circle along the curved edge.

How is the arc length of a circle calculated?

The arc length of a circle is calculated by multiplying the measure of the central angle (in radians) by the radius of the circle. This can be represented by the formula arc length = θ * r, where θ is the central angle and r is the radius of the circle.

What is the unit of measurement for arc length of a circle?

The unit of measurement for arc length of a circle is typically the same as the unit of measurement for the radius of the circle. For example, if the radius is measured in inches, the arc length will also be measured in inches.

How does the arc length of a circle relate to the circumference of a circle?

The arc length of a circle is essentially the same as the circumference of the circle. The only difference may be in the unit of measurement used. The circumference is the total distance around the circle, while the arc length is the distance between two points on the circle.

How is the arc length of a circle used in real-world applications?

The concept of arc length of a circle is used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and navigation. It is crucial for designing and constructing circular structures, such as bridges, roads, and tunnels. It is also used in calculating distances and angles in navigation and surveying.