Calculating Area: Decimal Sides vs. Actual Size Explained

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the area of a square with decimal sides. The question asks whether the area will be smaller or larger than the sides, and the answer is that it will be smaller, specifically 0.25 square inches. There is some confusion about the calculation process, with suggestions to divide by 100 instead of 10. In the end, it is clarified that the area will indeed be 0.25 square inches.
Drakkith
Mentor
This was bothering me a bit. When calculating the area of something, say a square, whose sides are in decimal, will the area be smaller than the sides?

Say we have a square with 0.5 inches for all 4 sides. Will the area be 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25, or would it be 2.5 inches? 5x5 = 25, divided by 10 = 2.5 inches.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why are you dividing by 10? You should divide by 100
5/10 * 5/10=0.25

I multiplied all the values by 10 to get 5x5=25. Should I be dividing by 100 instead? Seems odd to me that the area is LESS than the 2 side values.Thats pretty much my question, would it be .25 or 2.5 inches for the area?

It would be 0.25 square inches...

micromass said:
It would be 0.25 square inches...

Alright. I thought it would be, but for some reason, when i was thinking about it, it didn't make sense. (Even though I've known how to do area for like 15 years)

Guess I overthought it lol. Thanks guys.

Related to Calculating Area: Decimal Sides vs. Actual Size Explained

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a rectangle?

The formula for calculating the area of a rectangle is length x width. So if the length is 5 cm and the width is 3 cm, the area would be 5 cm x 3 cm = 15 cm^2.

2. How do you find the area of a triangle?

To find the area of a triangle, you can use the formula 1/2 x base x height. So if the base is 6 cm and the height is 4 cm, the area would be 1/2 x 6 cm x 4 cm = 12 cm^2.

3. What is the difference between perimeter and area?

Perimeter is the distance around the outside of a shape, while area is the measurement of the space inside the shape. Perimeter is measured in linear units such as cm or inches, while area is measured in square units such as cm^2 or inches^2.

4. How do you calculate the area of a circle?

The formula for calculating the area of a circle is pi x radius^2. So if the radius is 8 cm, the area would be 3.14 x 8^2 = 201.06 cm^2.

5. Can you use Quick Basic to calculate the area of irregular shapes?

Yes, you can use Quick Basic to calculate the area of irregular shapes by breaking the shape into smaller, simpler shapes and then adding their individual areas together. This process is called finding the total area by decomposition.