Calculating Area: Exploring the Bounds of Trigonometric Functions

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary: You are trying to find the area bounded by the line y=2 and the graph of y=sec^2(3x) for \frac{-\pi}{6} < x < \frac{\pi}{6} . You should start your summary by saying:In summary, you are trying to find the area bounded by the line y=2 and the graph of y=sec^2(3x) for \frac{-\pi}{6} < x < \frac{\pi}{6}.
shamieh
Sketch the region bounded by the line y = 2 and the graph of \(\displaystyle y = sec^2(3x)\) for \(\displaystyle \frac{-\pi}{6} < x < \frac{\pi}{6}\)

Very very confused on this problem...

So here is what I set up..

Top function - bottom function

\(\displaystyle \int ^{\pi/6}_{-\pi/6} 2 - \sec^2(3x) dx\)

so I split the integrals in two.

for the first integral, i let u = 3x , du/3 = dx
thus:
\(\displaystyle 1/3 \int ^{\pi/6}_{-\pi/6} sec^2(u) du\)

which = \(\displaystyle 1/3tan(u)\) ... Updating the limits \(\displaystyle |^{\pi/2} _ 0\)

here is where I am running into a problem... \(\displaystyle tan(\pi/2)\) doesn't exist it is infinity or undefined but I'm bounded by y = 2...So why am i running into this problem? If i am bounded then won't i still end up with 2 - infinity? I am confused. Maybe I'm approaching this the wrong way.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are asked to find the bounded region, and your limits are within the given interval:

View attachment 2718

You should be able to show your limits are as given in the plot...

Attachments

• shamieh01.jpg
    shamieh01.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 63
MarkFL said:
You are asked to find the bounded region, and your limits are within the given interval:

View attachment 2718

Are you sure they're not also asking for the area of the regions contained where $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\frac{\pi}{6} \leq x \leq -\frac{\pi}{12} \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\pi}{12} \leq x \leq \frac{\pi}{6} \end{align*}$ too Mark?

Prove It said:
Are you sure they're not also asking for the area of the regions contained where $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\frac{\pi}{6} \leq x \leq -\frac{\pi}{12} \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\pi}{12} \leq x \leq \frac{\pi}{6} \end{align*}$ too Mark?

I took the restriction \(\displaystyle -\frac{\pi}{6}<x<\frac{\pi}{6}\) to restrict the problem to one period of the trig. function. :D

MarkFL said:

View attachment 2718

Sorry I'm not following...Are you saying my limits are incorrect - or that I'm integrating the incorrect way?

The way I interpreted the problem is that you are to consider the plot of:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\sec^2(3x)\)

restricted to the interval:

\(\displaystyle \left(-\frac{\pi}{6},\frac{\pi}{6}\right)\)

And then, you are to find the area bounded by this one period of the trigonometric function and the line $y=2$.

MarkFL said:
The way I interpreted the problem is that you are to consider the plot of:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\sec^2(3x)\)

restricted to the interval:

\(\displaystyle \left(-\frac{\pi}{6},\frac{\pi}{6}\right)\)

And then, you are to find the area bounded by this one period of the trigonometric function and the line $y=2$.
Oh. I think i see now

Related to Calculating Area: Exploring the Bounds of Trigonometric Functions

What is the formula for finding area?

The formula for finding area varies depending on the shape. For a square or rectangle, the formula is length x width. For a triangle, the formula is 1/2 x base x height. For a circle, the formula is π x radius squared.

How do I find the area of a shape with irregular sides?

To find the area of a shape with irregular sides, you can divide the shape into smaller, regular shapes (such as squares or triangles) and find the area of each individual shape. Then, add up the areas of all the smaller shapes to find the total area of the irregular shape.

Do I need to use the same units for length and width in the area formula?

Yes, it is important to use the same units for length and width in the area formula. This ensures that the resulting area will also have the same units and will be a meaningful measurement of the space enclosed by the shape.

Can I use decimals or fractions for the measurements in the area formula?

Yes, you can use decimals or fractions for the measurements in the area formula. Just make sure to use the same format for all the measurements (e.g. all decimals or all fractions) to avoid errors in the calculation.

Why is finding area important in science?

Finding area is important in science because it helps us measure the size of different objects and spaces. In many scientific experiments and observations, accurate measurements of area are necessary for obtaining reliable data and making meaningful conclusions.