Calculating Area Inside Overlapping Polar Curves

In summary: Yes, I can think of a way to do it. You would use the formula$$A = \frac 1 2\int_\alpha^\beta r_{outer}^2-r_{inner}^2\, d\theta$$and change the sign of ##r_{inner}## to get the area in the ##-\frac \pi 4## to ##\frac {3\pi} 4## range.
iRaid

Homework Statement

Find the area inside both the circles r=2sinθ; r=sinθ+cosθ.
Express your answer as an integral, do not evaluate.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{\alpha}^{\beta}\frac{1}{2}(r_{1}^{2}-r_{2}^{2})d\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set 2sinθ=sinθ+cosθ and solved for theta = ∏/4 and -3∏/4 (I think they're right, not sure)
So my integral was:
[tex]\int_{\frac{-3\pi}{4}}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \frac{1}{2}[(2sin\theta)^{2}-(sin\theta+cos\theta)^{2}]d\theta[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
iRaid said:

Homework Statement

Find the area inside both the circles r=2sinθ; r=sinθ+cosθ.
Express your answer as an integral, do not evaluate.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_{\alpha}^{\beta}\frac{1}{2}(r_{1}^{2}-r_{2}^{2})d\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set 2sinθ=sinθ+cosθ and solved for theta = ∏/4 and -3∏/4 (I think they're right, not sure)
So my integral was:
[tex]\int_{\frac{-3\pi}{4}}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \frac{1}{2}[(2sin\theta)^{2}-(sin\theta+cos\theta)^{2}]d\theta[/tex]

Have you drawn the graphs? You are going to need to do that to get this problem correct. Here's one thing you need to worry about. While both graphs go through the origin, they don't do it for the same value of ##\theta##. And you have negative values for ##r_1## in that range. And you don't want to count areas in common to the two regions twice.

Would it be from 0 to pi/4?

iRaid said:
Would it be from 0 to pi/4?

No. Have you drawn the graphs?

LCKurtz said:
No. Have you drawn the graphs?

Yes I drew them, r=2sinθ is a circle with radius 2 at (0,1) and r=sinθ+cosθ is a circle that goes from (1,0) to (1,∏/2) to (0,3∏/2) and back to (1,2∏).

Last edited:
OK, that's a start. Note that you can get the ##r = 2\sin\theta## graph for ##\theta## from ##0## to ##\pi## with ##r\ge 0##. And you can get the second complete graph, with ##r## positive for ##\theta## from ##-\frac \pi 4## to ##\frac {3\pi} 4##. This matters for two reasons:
1. You want ##r## nonnegative if you are going to use the formula$$
A = \frac 1 2\int_\alpha^\beta r_{outer}^2-r_{inner}^2\, d\theta$$because you want the graphs to be in the same quadrant. If either of the ##r## values are negative, they aren't.

2. The ##\theta## ranges are different. This means that you can't use that formula directly as a single integral to set up the problem anyway.

So think about this. On your graph, what area would you be calculating if you did the integral$$
\frac 1 2 \int_{-\frac \pi 4}^{\frac \pi 4}(\sin\theta +\cos\theta)^2\, d\theta$$Once you know that, do you see how to calculate the remaining area without duplicating anything?

Related to Calculating Area Inside Overlapping Polar Curves

1. What is the definition of "Area of Polar Curves"?

The area of polar curves refers to the region bounded by a polar curve, which is a graph in polar coordinates where the distance from the origin and the angle from the positive x-axis determine a point on the curve. Calculating the area of polar curves involves using integrals to find the area under the curve.

2. How do you find the area of a polar curve?

To find the area of a polar curve, you need to first convert the polar equation into rectangular form. Then, find the points of intersection between the curve and the x-axis. Next, use the integral formula for finding the area under the curve, which is 1/2 times the integral of the function squared with respect to the angle. Finally, solve the integral to find the area.

3. What are some common polar curves used in calculating area?

Some common polar curves used in calculating area include cardioids, limaçons, lemniscates, and roses. These curves have equations that can be easily converted into rectangular form and have known formulas for calculating their area under the curve.

4. Can the area of a polar curve be negative?

No, the area of a polar curve cannot be negative. In polar coordinates, the distance from the origin is always positive, so when using the integral formula for finding the area, the function will always be squared, resulting in a positive value.

5. How is the area of polar curves related to calculus?

The area of polar curves is related to calculus through the use of integrals. Calculating the area under the curve involves using integration techniques, such as finding the anti-derivative and evaluating definite integrals. This application of calculus allows for the calculation of complex areas that cannot be easily determined using traditional geometry methods.