Calculating Area of Hemisphere Cut by Cylinder

In summary, the problem is to find the area of the portion of a cylinder that lies inside a hemisphere. The formula for surface area is used and the surface in the first octant is considered for symmetry. However, there is a mistake in the limits of integration for z, which leads to an incorrect result. When corrected, the correct answer of 4 is obtained.
beowulf.geata

Homework Statement

Find the area of the portion of the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 2x that lies inside the hemisphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4, z [tex]\geq[/tex] 0. Hint: Project onto the xz-plane.

Homework Equations

I want to use the formula for surface area

[tex]\int\int\frac{|\nabla f|}{|\nabla f\bullet\vec{p}|}dA[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to consider only the surface in the first octant (for reasons of symmetry). I get

[tex]\frac{|\nabla f|}{|\nabla f\bullet\vec{p}|} = \frac{1}{y}[/tex]

hence:

[tex]\int\int\frac{|\nabla f|}{|\nabla f\bullet\vec{p}|}dA = \int\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{2x-x^2}}dzdx[/tex]

and using

sqrt(4-x^2) and 0 as limits of integration for z

and 2 and 0 as limits of integration for x, I get

[tex]\int\sqrt{\frac{2+x}{x}}dx[/tex]

(with 2 and 0 as limits of integration for x)

The problem is that this integral doesn't evaluate to 4, which I know is the correct answer (I do get this result by evaluating the integral

[tex]\int h ds[/tex]

where h is the altitude of the cylinder and ds is the element of arc length on the circle x^2 + y^2 = 2x in the xy-plane)

Could you please tell me where I'm going wrong?

Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've just realized that there is a mistake in my limits of integration for z.

Apart from 0, the other limit is sqrt(4 - (x^2 + y^2)), not sqrt(4 - x^2), and, since this z also belongs to the cylinder, z = sqrt(4 - 2x) and this leads to the correct result, i.e. 4.

Related to Calculating Area of Hemisphere Cut by Cylinder

1. What is a hemisphere cut by a cylinder?

A hemisphere cut by a cylinder is a geometric shape formed by cutting a solid hemisphere (half of a sphere) with a cylinder. The resulting shape has a flat circular base and a curved side formed by the hemisphere.

2. How is a hemisphere cut by a cylinder different from a hemisphere cut by a cone?

While both shapes involve a hemisphere being cut by a curved surface, the resulting shapes are different. A hemisphere cut by a cylinder has a flat base and a curved side, while a hemisphere cut by a cone has a pointed base and a curved side that tapers to a point.

3. What are some real-life examples of a hemisphere cut by a cylinder?

A dome-shaped building, such as a planetarium or observatory, is a common example of a hemisphere cut by a cylinder. Another example is a rounded water tower, or the shape of a half basketball.

4. What are some properties of a hemisphere cut by a cylinder?

The surface area of a hemisphere cut by a cylinder can be calculated by adding the curved surface area of the hemisphere to the lateral surface area of the cylinder. The volume can be found by taking half of the volume of the original hemisphere. The shape also has one flat circular base and one curved side.

5. How is a hemisphere cut by a cylinder used in mathematics?

In mathematics, a hemisphere cut by a cylinder is a common shape used in geometry and calculus problems. The properties of this shape can be used to calculate surface area and volume, as well as to model real-life structures and objects.