Calculating atomic velocities from forces

In summary, the conversation discusses using interatomic pair potentials to calculate forces from velocities. The speaker mentions arriving at ridiculous values and provides a potential function with corresponding values for distance, potential energy, and units. There is also a mention of using classical mechanics to calculate acceleration and confusion over the use of units and the presence of an electric charge. The speaker requests to see the actual calculation to determine any potential mistakes.
Hypatio

Homework Statement

I am trying to use interatomic pair potentials to calculate forces from velocities, but I seem to arrive at ridiculous values.

2. Homework Equations (and 3. Solution attempt)

Consider that I have a potential function where (r is distance, E is potential energy, Ang is Angstroms)

dE/dr @ 3 Ang is about 0.0342 eV/Ang, or 3.42x10^8 eV/m, or in Joules: 5.48x10^-21 J/m.

Using the mass of oxygen, 1.34x10^-26 kg, and classical mechanics (a=F/m) this force should apply an acceleration of 4.1x10^15 m/s^2.

My calculated acceleration suggests that the velocity should change by on the order of meters per femtosecond, at least 10 orders of magnitude greater than what would make molecular dynamics simulations viable.

Have I made a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have confused your units ... E has units of volts per length ... so dE/dr would be volts per area?
Don't know why you are doing dE/dr anyway - don't you want something more like: E=dV/dr ?
F=qE ... what did you use for q?

I cannot figure what mistake you have made, though, unless I see your actual calculation.

Related to Calculating atomic velocities from forces

1. How do you calculate atomic velocities from forces?

To calculate atomic velocities from forces, you can use the formula: v = √(2F/m), where v is the velocity, F is the force, and m is the mass of the atom. This formula is based on the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration (F=ma) and the definition of velocity as the change in position over time.

2. What units are used for atomic velocities and forces?

The units used for atomic velocities and forces may vary depending on the system of measurement being used. However, in the SI (International System of Units), forces are typically measured in Newtons (N) and velocities are measured in meters per second (m/s).

3. Can atomic velocities be negative?

Yes, atomic velocities can be negative. In physics, velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. A negative velocity indicates that the atom is moving in the opposite direction of its initial position.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculated atomic velocities from forces?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of calculated atomic velocities from forces, including experimental errors, uncertainties in measurements, and assumptions made in the calculations. The quality and precision of the equipment used to measure forces and distances can also impact the accuracy of the results.

5. Can atomic velocities be calculated for all types of forces?

Atomic velocities can be calculated for any type of force as long as the mass of the atom and the magnitude of the force are known. This includes gravitational, electromagnetic, and nuclear forces. However, the specific calculations and formulas may vary depending on the type of force being considered.

Back