Calculating Average Force: Momentum Question

• Thread starter Andy87055
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation involved a question about calculating the average force between a baseball and a bat during contact. The given parameters were the mass of the baseball, the initial velocity of the pitch and hit, and the contact time between the two. The formula used was Average Force= change in momentum divided by change in time, taking into account the change in velocity and its direction. The calculated answer was 1,890 N, but the textbook answer was 13,200 N. The discrepancy was due to not considering the changing direction of velocity.
Andy87055
This seems like an easy question.
A 0.145 kg baseball pitched at 39.0 m/s is hit on a horizontal line drive straight back toward the pitcher at 52.0 m/s. If the contact time between the bat and ball is 0.001 seconds, calculate the average force between the ball and bat during contact.

I used Average Force= change in momentum divided by change in time.
I figured the change in momentum to be 1.89 kg*m/s and change in time to be .001 seconds. Dividing, I got 1,890 N. The answer given by the textbook is 13,200 N.

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: The change in velocity is 91 m/s.

you need to use the change in velocity. make sure to take the directions into account.

edit:

tide beat me to it! =p

Gotta be quick, Andrew! ;)

That's right, i forgot velocity was changing directions. Thank you.

FAQ: Calculating Average Force: Momentum Question

What is average force?

Average force is the force exerted over a period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in momentum by the change in time.

How do you calculate average force?

To calculate average force, you must first determine the change in momentum by subtracting the initial momentum from the final momentum. Then, divide this value by the change in time. The resulting value is the average force.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is the formula for momentum?

The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This formula can be used to calculate an object's momentum in any direction.

How does average force relate to momentum?

Average force is directly related to momentum, as it is the force that causes a change in an object's momentum. The greater the average force, the greater the change in momentum over a given period of time.