Calculating Average Power Density of a Uniform Plane Wave

In summary, the problem involves a plane monochromatic electromagnetic wave hitting a crystal plate at an incident angle of 60 degrees. The crystal plate has an area of 0.5m^2 and is fully illuminated by the wave. The wave carries an average power density of I=10^-4*sqrt((epsilon_0)/(mu_0)) W/m^2 and has an electric field given by E=E_x*u_x+E_z*u_z, where E_x=E_0*cos(omega*t-ky) and E_z=E_0*sin(omega*t-ky). The question is to calculate E_0, and the solution involves using the relation between E and B fields in an EM wave, |\vec B
cathode-ray

Homework Statement

A plane monocromatic electromagnetic wave propagates in the air hitting a cristal plate with an incident angle of [tex]60[/tex] degrees. The cristal plate has an area [tex]A=0.5m^{2}[/tex], and is fully illuminated by the wave. The average power density carried by the wave is [tex]I=10^{-4}\sqrt{\frac{\varepsilon_{0}}{\mu_{0}}}W.m^{-2}[/tex] and his electric field is given by:

[tex]\overrightarrow{E}=E_{x}\overrightarrow{u}_{x}+E_{z}\overrightarrow{u}_{z}[/tex]
[tex]E_{x}=E_{0}cos(\omega t-ky)[/tex]
[tex]E_{z}=E_{0}sen(\omega t-ky)[/tex]

c)Calculate [tex]E_{0}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]I=\left\langle \overrightarrow{S}\right\rangle[/tex] S is the Poynting vector
[tex]\overrightarrow{H}=\frac{\overrightarrow{B}}{\mu_{0}}[/tex]
[tex]v=\frac{E}{B}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem came with a solution but I don't understand one of the steps:

[tex]I=\left\langle \overrightarrow{S}\right\rangle =\left\langle \overrightarrow{E}\times\overrightarrow{H}\right\rangle =\left\langle \overrightarrow{E}\times\frac{\overrightarrow{B}}{\mu_{0}}\right\rangle =\frac{E_{0}^{2}}{v}[/tex]

How is [tex]\left\langle \overrightarrow{E}\times\frac{\overrightarrow{B}}{\mu_{0}}\right\rangle =\frac{E_{0}^{2}}{v}[/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello cathode ray

The E and B fields in an EM wave are related as [tex]|\vec B| = \frac{|\vec E|}{c}[/tex]
This relation is a consequance of Maxwell's curl E equation.
You could check Griffiths sec.9.2.2.

Hi!
Sorry for the time I took to answer.
I use that relation to get:

[tex]\left\langle \overrightarrow{E}\times\frac{\overrightarrow{B}}{\mu_{0}}\right\rangle \Rightarrow\left\langle \frac{|\overrightarrow{E}|^{2}}{c\mu_{0}}\right\rangle[/tex]

But I still get stuck. Why is [tex]\left\langle \frac{|\overrightarrow{E}|^{2}}{c\mu_{0}}\right\rangle =\frac{E_{0}^{2}}{v}[/tex]? And shouldn't we get a factor of 1/2 in the final expression because of the average?

Hey,

The field are being considered in a medium.
So [tex]|\vec B| = \frac{k}{\omega}|\vec E| = \frac{|\vec E|}{v}[/tex].

Then in that case we get:

[tex]\left\langle \frac{|\overrightarrow{E}|^{2}}{v\mu_{0}}\right\rangle [/tex]

Sorry, but I still don't understand the equality:

[tex]\left\langle \frac{E_{o}^{2}}{v\mu_{0}}\right\rangle =\frac{E_{0}^{2}}{v}[/tex]

Related to Calculating Average Power Density of a Uniform Plane Wave

What is the Uniform Plane Wave Problem?

The Uniform Plane Wave Problem is a theoretical problem in electromagnetics that involves finding the properties of an electromagnetic wave that is propagating through a perfect, uniform medium.

What are the key equations used in solving the Uniform Plane Wave Problem?

The key equations used in solving the Uniform Plane Wave Problem are Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields, and the wave equation, which describes the propagation of a wave through a medium.

What are some applications of the Uniform Plane Wave Problem?

The Uniform Plane Wave Problem has applications in various fields, such as antenna design, radar systems, and telecommunications. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic wave propagation in different media.

What are the assumptions made in the Uniform Plane Wave Problem?

The Uniform Plane Wave Problem makes several assumptions, including a perfect, uniform medium with no boundaries or obstacles, and a steady-state solution where the electromagnetic wave has constant amplitude and frequency.

How is the Uniform Plane Wave Problem solved?

The Uniform Plane Wave Problem is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and Fourier transforms. Numerical methods, such as finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) or method of moments (MoM), can also be used for more complex scenarios.