Calculating Average Power LCR series circuit

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the Q-factor of a series LCR circuit and finding the average power using a specific formula. The question is asked about the RMS voltage and its relation to the resistor, and the response explains that the voltage is the potential difference across all three components and the average power can be calculated from the voltage and resistor.
steejk
Hi,

Im trying to calculate the Q-factor of a series LCR circuit.

I am struggling at how to calculate the average power. I want to find it using this formula:

pser.gif

What is the RMS voltage in the formula for - is it across the resistor, or what?

Any help is appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi steejk! welcome to pf! :smile:
steejk said:
What is the RMS voltage in the formula for - is it across the resistor, or what?

from the two denominators, Z2 = R2 + (XL - XC)2

so Z must be the impedance across all three components (R L and C), and so V = IZ is the voltage (potential difference) across all three :wink:

(and V = IZ, so V2 = I2Z2, so Vrms2 = Irms2Z2)

tiny-tim said:

so Z must be the impedance across all three components (R L and C), and so V = IZ is the voltage (potential difference) across all three :wink:

tiny-tim said:

Can it also be said that Pavg = Vrms(across resistor)/R ?

steejk said:
Can it also be said that Pavg = Vrms(across resistor)/R ?

You mean Vrms(across resistor)2/R ?

Yes, the average power across L and C is zero, and the average power across R is VrmsIrms(across resistor) = Vrms(across resistor)2/R :smile:

Related to Calculating Average Power LCR series circuit

What is the formula for calculating average power in an LCR series circuit?

The formula for average power in an LCR series circuit is P = IRMS * VRMS * cos(θ), where IRMS is the RMS current, VRMS is the RMS voltage, and θ is the phase angle between the current and voltage.

How do you calculate RMS current and voltage in an LCR series circuit?

To calculate RMS current and voltage in an LCR series circuit, you can use the formulas IRMS = Im / √2 and VRMS = Vm / √2, where Im and Vm are the maximum current and voltage values.

What is the significance of the cosine term in the average power formula for an LCR series circuit?

The cosine term in the average power formula represents the power factor, which is a measure of how efficiently the circuit is using the power. A power factor of 1 means all the power is being used effectively, while a power factor less than 1 indicates some power is being wasted.

Can average power in an LCR series circuit ever be negative?

No, average power in an LCR series circuit can never be negative. This is because power is always a positive quantity and is never consumed by the circuit; it is only transformed from one form to another.

How do you calculate the phase angle between current and voltage in an LCR series circuit?

The phase angle between current and voltage in an LCR series circuit can be calculated using the formula tan(θ) = (XL - XC) / R, where XL and XC are the reactance of the inductor and capacitor, and R is the resistance of the circuit. The phase angle θ is also known as the impedance angle.