Calculating Average Velocity: Family Trip from Hither to Yon

In summary, the problem involves a family traveling at two different speeds for equal distances. The average speed for the entire trip can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the two speeds. Assuming a certain amount of time for the trip will result in an incorrect answer. Instead, considering the purpose of the trip, such as visiting someone and returning home, can help determine the total distance traveled and thus the average speed.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

A family travels from hither to yon one afternoon. On this day, the driver spends half the distance traveling at 77 km/hr and the remaining half at 50 km/hr. What is the average speed during the trip?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the trip was 2 hours.

If each speed is half the distance of the total trip, then 77 km/hr lasted for .82467 hours, and 50 km/hr lasted 1.27 hours.

I then found a weighted average, [77(.82467) + 50(1.27)] / 2

For 63.5 km/hr, which is incorrect.

What part of my process is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming a certain amount of time (2 hours) is your problem. You know that half the distance is covered at one rate, and the other half at a different rate.

(Hint: Use the formula distance = rate * time)

I don't understand how to apply D = rt, I only know rate.

I really have no idea what to do unless I assume some total time, and I didn't think it would matter..

Last edited:
1MileCrash said:
I don't understand how to apply D = rt, I only know rate.

I really have no idea what to do unless I assume some total time, and I didn't think it would matter..

Obviously you can't assume a total time - it gives you the wrong answer.

Try assuming a total something else.

EDIT: If the family trip was to visit someone, and come home again what would that tell you?

Thanks guys, I think I got it.

Related to Calculating Average Velocity: Family Trip from Hither to Yon

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of the overall change in position of an object over a certain time period. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement (change in position) by the total time taken.

2. How do you calculate average velocity?

To calculate average velocity, you need to divide the total displacement by the total time taken. The formula for average velocity is: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / time taken.

3. What units are used for average velocity?

The units for average velocity can vary depending on the system of measurement used. However, the most common units are meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. A negative average velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the reference point. This can happen if the object changes direction during its movement or if the reference point is moving in the opposite direction.

5. How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average velocity and average speed are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. While average velocity takes into account the direction of motion, average speed only considers the magnitude of the displacement. This means that average speed does not consider the direction of the object's movement.