Calculating Cannon Ball Barrel Length: Impulse and Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a human cannon ball with an impulse of 2.5 x 10^3 N·s and a mass of 65 kg. The question asks for the length of the cannon's barrel if the cannon ball leaves at a speed of 120 km/h. The solution involves using the formula J=ma(delta t) to find acceleration and d=v1(t)+(1/2)(a)(t^2) to find distance, with a given time of 0.2 seconds. The answer at the back of the question is incorrect and the person is seeking help to understand why.
phizics09

Homework Statement

The impulse on a human cannon ball is 2.5  103 N·s. The cannon
ball has a mass of 65 kg.

Homework Equations

How long is the barrel of the cannon if the cannon ball leaves the
cannon at 120 km/h?

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula J=ma(delta t)
(2.5x 10^3)=(65)(a)(0.2)

to find the acceleration. Then, I used the formula d=v1(t)+(1/2)(a)(t^2) to find the distance, and I got 3.85 m, but the answer at the back is wrong.

Can anybody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the time of 0.2 seconds ?

That's given in part a of the question, which I already got. Here's the entire question:

The impulse on a human cannon ball is 2.5  103 N·s. The cannon
ball has a mass of 65 kg.
a) What force does the cannon exert on the human cannon ball if
it takes 0.2 s for the human cannon ball to leave the cannon?
b) How long is the barrel of the cannon if the cannon ball leaves the
cannon at 120 km/h?

Related to Calculating Cannon Ball Barrel Length: Impulse and Velocity

1. What is the definition of impulse on a cannon ball?

Impulse on a cannon ball is the product of the force applied to the cannon ball and the time it takes for the force to act. It is a measure of the change in momentum of the cannon ball.

2. How is impulse related to the motion of a cannon ball?

The impulse acting on a cannon ball is directly proportional to the change in its momentum. This means that a larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum and therefore a greater change in the cannon ball's motion.

3. What factors affect the impulse on a cannon ball?

The impulse on a cannon ball is affected by the magnitude and direction of the force applied, as well as the duration of the force acting on the cannon ball.

4. How is the impulse on a cannon ball calculated?

The impulse on a cannon ball can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the cannon ball by the time it takes for the force to act, given by the equation I = FΔt.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding impulse on a cannon ball?

Understanding the concept of impulse on a cannon ball is important in fields such as physics and engineering, as it allows for the calculation and prediction of the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It is also essential in designing and optimizing the performance of cannons and other projectile launchers.