Calculating capacitance -Got wrong answer

• Thread starter warnexus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the problem asks to find the capacitance of a capacitor storing 320 MJ with a potential difference of 170V. Using the equation Q=CV, the converted value of 320 MJ is 1882352.941 Farads, which can be converted to 1.882352941 * 10 ^ 15 nanofarads. However, the correct equation for energy stored by a capacitor is (1/2)C(V^2). Using this equation and converting the given energy to Joules, the answer is 22 nanofarads.
warnexus

Homework Statement

Find the capacitance of a capacitor that stores 320 MJ(MegaJoules) when the potential difference across its plates is 170V.

Answer must be in nanofarads.

So basically q: is 320MJ
V: is 170V
I need to find C the capacitance.

Homework Equations

To find the capacitance is q=CV.

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 320MJ to 320* 10 ^ 6 Joules for q. 320* 10 ^6 J is also 320 * 10 ^ 6 Coulombs. Let V the way it is 170V.

Divide (320 * 10 ^ 6 Coulombs) / (170 V) = 1882352.941 Farads. to convert farad to nanofarad I multiply the answer by 10^ 9 and got 1.882352941 * 10 ^ 15 nanofarads.
I put 1.88 * 10 ^ 15 nanofarads but apparently it is the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your equation Q=CV, Q is the charge stored.

You are given 320 MJ which is a unit of energy. What is equation for the energy stored by a capacitor?

rock.freak667 said:
In your equation Q=CV, Q is the charge stored.

You are given 320 MJ which is a unit of energy. What is equation for the energy stored by a capacitor?

that equation would be (1/2)C(V^2). but i do not see your point. i should be using that equation.

Last edited:
you know the energy and you know the voltage so using this equation will give you the value of C.
Have you read the question carefully? You have the energy stored as 320 megaJoules...that sounds totally unreasonable ! it is about 100kWhr!

Oh! I see. Thanks for the help. Answer is 22 nanofarads.

Related to Calculating capacitance -Got wrong answer

What is capacitance and why is it important to calculate?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is important to calculate because it helps in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits and designing them for specific purposes.

What is the formula for calculating capacitance?

The formula for calculating capacitance is C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is the charge stored, and V is the potential difference between the plates of a capacitor.

What are the common units used for capacitance?

The common units used for capacitance are farads (F), picofarads (pF), and microfarads (μF).

What are some possible reasons for getting a wrong answer when calculating capacitance?

There are a few possible reasons for getting a wrong answer when calculating capacitance. Some common reasons include using the wrong formula, incorrect conversion of units, and rounding errors.

How can I ensure that I get an accurate answer when calculating capacitance?

To ensure accuracy when calculating capacitance, it is important to use the correct formula, double-check unit conversions, and use precise values for variables. It is also helpful to check your calculations using a calculator or by solving the problem in multiple ways.