Calculating Center of Gravity After Pizza Cut: A Headache?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance, x, between the center of gravity, C, and a new center of gravity, C', after cutting a smaller circle of pizza from a larger pizza. The concept of negative mass is mentioned and the formula for finding the center of mass of two objects is provided. The final answer is simplified to Xcm = R/6.
skiboka33
hi, here's my question...

A pizza has a center of gravity at C, in the middle of the pizza radius = R
A smaller circle of pizza is cut from the pizza of radius R/2 at the left side of the pizza so that one the diameter of the hole where the smaller piece was stretches from the edge of the pizza to the center...

This gives a new center of gravity, C', what is the distance, x, between C' and C...

thanks this question is really givin me headaches...

Physics news on Phys.org
and let me know if its confusing... (ps, take the word "one" out in "one the diameter", just a typo, lol, thanks again)

the old "negative mass" trick :-)

Treat the small pizza as a pizza with negative mass. Then find the center of mass of the two "pizzas" taken together: The normal pizza + the small pizza with negative mass.

You will also need the [itex] \sigma = \frac{mass}{area} [/itex] trick.

:)

thanks guys i think i got it, didnt know about that negative mass trick!

C' = [(A1)(C) - (A2)(C-R/2) ] / (A1 - A2)

right?

which simplifies to

C' = C + R/6

C' - C = R/6 = Xcm

woot! thanks! :biggrin:

FAQ: Calculating Center of Gravity After Pizza Cut: A Headache?

1. What is the center of gravity and why is it important when cutting a pizza?

The center of gravity is the point at which the weight of an object is evenly distributed in all directions. When cutting a pizza, finding the center of gravity is important because it helps to balance the pizza and prevent it from tipping over.

2. How do you calculate the center of gravity for a pizza?

The center of gravity for a pizza can be calculated by finding the midpoint of each side of the pizza and then connecting those points to create a rectangle. The center of gravity will be where the diagonals of the rectangle intersect.

3. Does the size of the pizza affect the location of the center of gravity?

Yes, the size of the pizza does affect the location of the center of gravity. The larger the pizza, the further away the center of gravity will be from the center of the pizza.

4. Can the toppings on a pizza affect the center of gravity?

Yes, the toppings on a pizza can affect the center of gravity. Toppings that are heavier or placed in a concentrated area can shift the center of gravity away from the center of the pizza.

5. How does finding the center of gravity help prevent a pizza from tipping over?

By finding the center of gravity, you can place your cuts in a way that evenly distributes the weight of the pizza. This helps to balance the pizza and prevent it from tipping over, making it easier to handle and cut into slices.

Back