Calculating Centre of Mass for 2D Car with Added Load: Homework Help

In summary, the problem involves finding the weight of a load that needs to be added to a car in order to move its center of mass to a specific location between the front and rear wheels. Using turning moments of force and taking moments about the front wheels, the solution is found by setting up equations involving the forces at the front and rear wheels, the center of gravity, and the added load. The final equation is solved to find the weight of the load needed to achieve the desired center of mass position.
will_1688

Homework Statement

the centre of mass for a 2D car is 1.125m towards the rear wheels from the front wheels, there is then 1.675m to the rear wheels. If a load with a centre of mass 0.4m from the rear wheels towards the back of the car is added how heavy does this load need to be to move the centre of mass to the middle of the front and rear wheels i.e 1.4m backwards from the front wheels.

Can someone please give me an idea of how to do this question

Physics news on Phys.org
Use turning moments of force, take moments about the front wheels.

Last edited:
Front wheels - A
Rear wheels - B
Centre of Gravity - X
Load - Y

Taking moments about A:

Initially:

[tex]
F_B = \frac{45}{112} F_X
[/tex]

Add the load:

[tex]
F_X = 2F_B + \frac{12}{7} F_Y
[/tex]

[tex]
F_X = \frac{45}{56} F_X + \frac{12}{7} F_Y
[/tex]

[tex]
F_Y = \frac{11}{96} F_X
[/tex]

please see the solution on the attached doc file

Attachments

• car problem.doc
    24 KB · Views: 215
thanks a lot that is perfect i understand it now

FAQ: Calculating Centre of Mass for 2D Car with Added Load: Homework Help

1. How do I calculate the centre of mass for a 2D car with an added load?

To calculate the centre of mass for a 2D car with an added load, you will need to know the mass and position of both the car and the load. Use the formula: x = (m1x1 + m2x2) / (m1 + m2), where x is the position of the centre of mass, m1 and m2 are the masses, and x1 and x2 are the positions of the car and load, respectively.

2. Why is it important to calculate the centre of mass for a car with an added load?

Calculating the centre of mass for a car with an added load is important because it helps determine the stability, handling, and overall performance of the car. Knowing the location of the centre of mass can also help in designing and positioning the load to optimize the car's balance and maneuverability.

3. What factors can affect the centre of mass for a 2D car with an added load?

The centre of mass for a 2D car with an added load can be affected by several factors, such as the position and mass of the load, the shape and size of the car, and the distribution of weight within the car. Additionally, external forces like acceleration, braking, and turning can also alter the centre of mass.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate the centre of mass for a 3D car with an added load?

No, the formula for calculating the centre of mass for a 2D car with an added load is specific to two-dimensional objects. For a 3D car with an added load, you will need to use a different formula, taking into account the z-axis as well.

5. How can I check if my calculated centre of mass for a 2D car with an added load is accurate?

You can validate your calculated centre of mass for a 2D car with an added load by performing a physical experiment. Place the car on a flat surface and mark the position of the centre of mass. Then, add the load and recalculate the centre of mass. If the two positions match, your calculation is accurate.