Calculating Centre of Mass of a Uniform Object

In summary, the problem involves calculating the center of mass of an object with a gap in one corner, assuming uniform density. The x coordinate of the center of mass can be found by summing the masses and positions of the five squares and dividing by the total mass. The y coordinate can be found by finding the moment of the whole rectangle about O and subtracting the moment of the missing square, then dividing by the mass of the object. It is suggested to find the center of mass of the full rectangle and then subtract the area of the missing square.
BMcC
Calculate the centre of mass of the object shown below, assuming uniform density

Object: http://i.imgur.com/zuOUyL7.gif

Assume the origin, O, at the lower left, and the positive x-axis pointing to the right.

1) What is the x coordinate of the centre of mass, in terms of a?

2) If the positive y-axis points up along the page, what is the y coordinate of the centre of mass, in terms of a?

So obviously you can break the object into 5 squares, each with a length and width of a and a centre of mass in the middle of the squares. I've done this and tried starting at the origin by adding the masses and positions up according to this formula given by my professor:

Xcm = x1m1 + x2m2 . . . divided by the sum of the masses, m1 + m2 . . .

I'm not sure how to take that gap into account. Should I find the centre of mass of the full rectangle and then subtract the area of the missing square? I don't quite know how to go about doing that.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, the gap is not there. What does this fact tell you about how to handle it?

You seem to know what the center of gravity of a square is. Can you make the leap and figure out what the center of gravity of a rectangle is?

These are your two hints. Show some work on this problem.

BMcC said:
Should I find the centre of mass of the full rectangle and then subtract the area of the missing square? I don't quite know how to go about doing that.
That's certainly the easiest way. Find the moment of the whole rectangle about O, subtract the moment the missing square would have if it were present, then divide by the mass of the object.

Related to Calculating Centre of Mass of a Uniform Object

What is the definition of the "Centre of Mass" of an object?

The Centre of Mass is the point at which the entire mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the average position of all the individual particles that make up the object.

How is the Centre of Mass of an object calculated?

The Centre of Mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles in the object. This is done by multiplying the position of each particle by its mass, summing these values, and then dividing by the total mass of the object.

Why is the Centre of Mass an important concept in physics?

The Centre of Mass is an important concept in physics because it allows us to analyze the motion of an object as if all its mass were concentrated at a single point. This simplifies many calculations and is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.

How does the Centre of Mass of an object affect its stability?

The Centre of Mass of an object affects its stability because if the Centre of Mass is located above the base of the object, it will be more stable and less likely to topple over. If the Centre of Mass is located outside of the base, the object will be less stable and more likely to fall.

Can the Centre of Mass of an object be located outside of the object?

Yes, the Centre of Mass of an object can be located outside of the object. This is often the case for irregularly shaped objects or objects with asymmetrical mass distributions. In these cases, the Centre of Mass may be located at a point that is not physically within the object itself.