Calculating Centripetal Acceleration in a Speed Skater's Turn

In summary, the short track speed skater is making a turn at one end of an ice rink, increasing his speed from 10 m/s to 20 m/s in two seconds. The radius of the turn is 5 meters. While in the middle of the turn, moving at 15 m/s, the tangential acceleration is 0 m/s^2, the centripetal acceleration is 45 m/s^2, and the magnitude of his acceleration is 47.43 m/s^2.
Dylan6866

Homework Statement

A short track speed skaer is making a turn at one end an ice rink, increasing his speed frm uniformly 10 m/s t 20 m/s in two seconds. The radius of the turn is 5 meters. While he is in the middle of the turn, and mving at 15 m/s, what is

a. tangential acceleration
b. centripetal acceleration
c. magnitude of his acceleration

Homework Equations

v^2/r
magnitude of a = sqrt((tangential)^2+(centripetal)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

tangential= 15 m/s
centripetal=(15m/s)^2/(5m)=45m/s^2
magnitude of acceleration = sqrt((15)^2+(45)^2)=47.43

Please help me out here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dylan6866 said:

Homework Statement

A short track speed skaer is making a turn at one end an ice rink, increasing his speed frm uniformly 10 m/s t 20 m/s in two seconds. The radius of the turn is 5 meters. While he is in the middle of the turn, and mving at 15 m/s, what is

a. tangential acceleration
b. centripetal acceleration
c. magnitude of his acceleration

Homework Equations

v^2/r
magnitude of a = sqrt((tangential)^2+(centripetal)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

tangential= 15 m/s
centripetal=(15m/s)^2/(5m)=45m/s^2
magnitude of acceleration = sqrt((15)^2+(45)^2)=47.43

Please help me out here.
Hello Dylan6866. Welcome to PF.

If you mean that the tangential acceleration = 15m/s, I'm afraid that's wrong. Wrong units and wrong number.

The centripetal acceleration is correct.

SammyS said:
Hello Dylan6866. Welcome to PF.

If you mean that the tangential acceleration = 15m/s, I'm afraid that's wrong. Wrong units and wrong number.

The centripetal acceleration is correct.

Thank you. I figured it out.

FAQ: Calculating Centripetal Acceleration in a Speed Skater's Turn

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object moving in the circular path.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while centrifugal acceleration is the apparent force pushing an object away from the center of the circle. Centrifugal acceleration is actually just an inertial force and does not exist in reality.

4. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

A few examples of centripetal acceleration include the motion of planets around the sun, the rotation of a Ferris wheel, and the circular motion of a car on a roundabout.

5. How does centripetal acceleration relate to centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the centripetal force acting on an object. This means that the greater the centripetal force, the greater the centripetal acceleration, and vice versa.