Calculating Change in Kinetic Energy of Cart

In summary, the problem involves a cart sliding along a frictionless rail with a constant tension in the cord. The change in kinetic energy of the cart during the move can be calculated using the equation Delta K = W = Int[ F(x)dx ] from initial position to final position. The tension in the cord is represented as T and the variable force in the negative direction is given by -Tcos(Θ). By integrating this equation from the initial position to the final position, the change in kinetic energy is found to be 300J. However, upon recalculation, the correct answer is obtained.
Goatsenator

Homework Statement

Figure 7-40 shows a cord attached to a cart that can slide along a frictionless horizontal rail aligned along an x axis. The left end of the cord is pulled over a pulley, of negligible mass and friction and at cord height h = 1.4 m, so the cart slides from x1 = 4.0 m to x2 = 2.0 m. During the move, the tension in the cord is a constant 25.0 N. What is the change in the kinetic energy of the cart during the move?

eukiv6.gif

Homework Equations

Delta K = W = Int[ F(x)dx ] from initial position to final position

The Attempt at a Solution

I let T=25N

So the variable force is in the negative direction but the angle is measured from the negative x direction so it actually = Tcos(180-Θ) = -Tcos(Θ)
And cos(Θ) in terms of x is x/sqrt(x^2+h^2)
T is constant so I pull it out of the integral
Then I integrate from b=2 a=4

-T * Int[{x/sqrt(x^2+h^2)}dx]

=-T [sqrt(x^2+h^2)] from b=2 a=4

I plug it all in and get 300J but it's incorrect. I tried it by myself and couldn't get the answer so I went to my TA and this is how he said to do it, so I don't know what else to do. I'm hoping someone on here can explain this better.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to plug in the values again and recalculate. Your method looks okay, but your final value is not correct.

Wow... I forgot to take the square root when I calculated... I apologize for this thread. -_-

FAQ: Calculating Change in Kinetic Energy of Cart

1. What is kinetic energy and how is it calculated?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity squared and dividing by 2.

2. How do I determine the mass and velocity of the cart?

The mass of the cart can be determined by weighing it on a scale. The velocity can be measured using a stopwatch and measuring the distance the cart travels in a given time interval.

3. Can the change in kinetic energy of the cart be negative?

Yes, the change in kinetic energy can be negative if the cart is slowing down. This means that the cart is losing kinetic energy as it decelerates.

4. What is the unit of measurement for kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is measured in joules (J) in the SI system. In some cases, it may also be measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

5. How does friction affect the calculation of change in kinetic energy of the cart?

Friction can decrease the change in kinetic energy of the cart. This is because some of the energy is converted to heat due to the resistance of friction. Therefore, the calculated change in kinetic energy may be lower than the actual change in kinetic energy of the cart.

Back