Calculating Charge on Capacitors in Series

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the charge on two capacitors connected in series to a 9V battery. There is a debate about whether the capacitors in series have the same charge or not. The conclusion is that the voltage and capacitance of each capacitor must be taken into account to determine the charge distribution, and in this case, it is determined that both capacitors receive 1.8mC of charge.
slammer

Homework Statement

A circuit composed of 2 capacitors of .40MF and .50MF are connected in series to a 9V battery. Calculate the charge on each

I just have a general question. I know that capacitors in series have the same charge.
I found Q to be 2MC and I was wondering if 1.8MC is the charge on both caps or is it .9MC charge on both caps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
slammer said:

Homework Statement

A circuit composed of 2 capacitors of .40MF and .50MF are connected in series to a 9V battery. Calculate the charge on each

I just have a general question. I know that capacitors in parallel have the same charge.
I found Q to be 1.8MC and I was wondering if 1.8MC is the charge on both caps or is it .9MC charge on both caps.

Capacitors in parallel have the same voltage but not necessarily the same charge unless the capacitances are the same.

Q = v * C

As for your question about the 1.8 mC - that is what is across the "equivalent" capacitor.

If you were to figure the voltages of the 2 capacitors and know they are supposed to add to 9 v, you will be able to answer your own question about how the charges are distributed.

Oops sorry my bad i mean capacitors in series have same charge. But I can't solve for V w/o finding out the capacitance on each capacitor. So what I am trying to say is does the both of the capacitors get 1.8mC of charge or do they each get .9mC?

slammer said:
Oops sorry my bad i mean capacitors in series have same charge. But I can't solve for V w/o finding out the capacitance on each capacitor. So what I am trying to say is does the both of the capacitors get 1.8mC of charge or do they each get .9mC?

What voltage do you get across each capacitor for both of those possibilities?

Which possibility adds up to 9 v adding the voltages of both capacitors? Because that's the one that's your answer.

Btw, where did the 1.8 mC come from? Didn't you calculate the equivalent capacitance and multiply by the voltage?

Last edited:
LowlyPion said:
What voltage do you get across each capacitor for both of those possibilities?

Which possibility adds up to 9 v adding the voltages of both capacitors? Because that's the one that's your answer.

Btw, where did the 1.8 mC come from? Didn't you calculate the equivalent capacitance and multiply by the voltage?

round errors and I figured it out. 1.8mC gets dumped on both of the caps.

slammer said:
round errors and I figured it out. 1.8mC gets dumped on both of the caps.

Well if you had used 2 mC it would have maybe been a little more obvious?

Cheers.

Related to Calculating Charge on Capacitors in Series

1. How does a capacitor store charge?

A capacitor stores charge by using two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. When a voltage is applied across the capacitor, electrons from one plate are attracted to the other plate, creating a build-up of charge on each plate.

2. What factors affect the amount of charge a capacitor can hold?

The amount of charge a capacitor can hold is affected by its capacitance, which is determined by the surface area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. A larger surface area, smaller distance, and higher dielectric constant will result in a higher capacitance and therefore a higher charge holding capacity.

3. How does a capacitor discharge its stored charge?

A capacitor discharges its stored charge when a circuit is completed between the two plates. This allows the electrons to flow from one plate to the other, equalizing the charge on both plates.

4. Can a capacitor hold an unlimited amount of charge?

No, a capacitor has a maximum charge holding capacity determined by its capacitance. If too much charge is applied, the dielectric material can break down and the capacitor can fail.

5. What are some practical applications of capacitors?

Capacitors are used in a variety of electronic devices, such as power supplies, audio equipment, and computers. They are also used in energy storage systems, like batteries, and in filters to remove unwanted frequencies from electronic signals.