Calculating Charge Transfer in Silver Spheres Using Coulomb's Law

In summary, to create an attractive force of 2 tons between two spheres, each with a charge of 9.0 g, the fraction of the electrons in one sphere that must be transferred to the other to produce a total charge of 80 microCoulombs is 2.36*10^-24.
notmetalenough
I'm having trouble even beginning this problem. I'm not quite sure how to convert from the charge, which I believe I can find, to the number of electrons shared. If someone could help me understand what I'm being asked to find, and how to find it, I would really appreciate it. The problem is as follows

Two small silver spheres, each with a mass of 9.0 g, are separated by 0.60 m . Calculate the fraction of the electrons in one sphere that must be transferred to the other to produce an attractive force of 2*10^4 (about 2 tons) between the spheres. (The number of electrons per atom of silver is 47, and the number of atoms per gram is Avogadro's number divided by the molar mass of silver, 107.87 g/mol.)

I have a few questions about this, am I to assume that the charges are equal? If they are not, how would I find them?

for coulomb's law, I figure that if F = (8.99*10^9) * (q_1 * q_2)/r^2, that q_1 * q_2 = 1.802 * 10 ^-6 or a total charge of about 80 microCoulombs. So the number of electrons being shared (since the charge of 1 e = 1.60*10^-19), would be about 5.0 * 10 ^ 12.

So if there are 47 electrons per silver atom, and 9 grams at 107.87 g/mol, then there should be about (6.02 * 10^ 23) / 107.87 atoms in a gram, * 9 grams, * 47 electrons. so about 2.36*10 ^ 24 electrons in one sphere.

if I take the number of electrons being shared and divide it by the number of electrons total, I get about 2.12 * 10 ^ -12 as the fraction of electrons being shared.

Which apparently is wrong. Where do I need to start over?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
notmetalenough said:
I have a few questions about this, am I to assume that the charges are equal? If they are not, how would I find them?
Sure the charges are equal (and opposite). You are taking electrons from one sphere and putting them on the other. The total charge (the sum of both spheres) must still be zero.

for coulomb's law, I figure that if F = (8.99*10^9) * (q_1 * q_2)/r^2, that q_1 * q_2 = 1.802 * 10 ^-6 or a total charge of about 80 microCoulombs. So the number of electrons being shared (since the charge of 1 e = 1.60*10^-19), would be about 5.0 * 10 ^ 12.
Recheck your answer for the charge per sphere. You need to solve for q.

So if there are 47 electrons per silver atom, and 9 grams at 107.87 g/mol, then there should be about (6.02 * 10^ 23) / 107.87 atoms in a gram, * 9 grams, * 47 electrons. so about 2.36*10 ^ 24 electrons in one sphere.
This part looks OK.

Doc Al said:
Recheck your answer for the charge per sphere. You need to solve for q.

That was the problem. I just took the square root of the number I got (which was typoed in what you read) and continued with the problem to get the correct answer. At least I found that my concept of the problem wasn't what was flawed. Makes me feel better about my understanding of coulomb's law.

Related to Calculating Charge Transfer in Silver Spheres Using Coulomb's Law

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between the electric force, the distance between two charged particles, and the magnitude of their charges.

2. How does Coulomb's Law apply to silver atoms?

Coulomb's Law applies to all charged particles, including silver atoms. The force between two silver atoms is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the charge of a silver atom?

A silver atom has a neutral charge, meaning it has an equal number of positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons. However, in certain conditions, an atom can lose or gain electrons, resulting in a net positive or negative charge.

4. How does Coulomb's Law affect the behavior of silver atoms?

Coulomb's Law determines the strength of the electric force between silver atoms and other charged particles. This force can influence the behavior of silver atoms in various ways, such as their movement and interactions with other atoms.

5. Can Coulomb's Law explain the properties of silver?

Coulomb's Law alone cannot fully explain the properties of silver. However, it is an essential principle in understanding the behavior of charged particles, which is crucial in understanding the properties of silver and other materials.