Calculating Coefficient of Friction in a Hockey Puck Sliding Problem

• Thread starter Peter Tran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
The coefficient of friction can be found by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. Using the second equation, F=ma, and the first equation, f=μn, we can set up the equation: μ=m*a/m*g. The mass, m, cancels out, leaving us with μ=a/g. Plugging in the values, we get μ=12.5m/s/9.8m/s^2=1.28. In summary, the coefficient of friction between the hockey puck and the ice is 1.28.
Peter Tran

Homework Statement

A hockey puck leaves a player's stick with a speed of 8.30m/s and slides 25.0m before coming to rest.

Find the coefficient of friction between the puck and the ice.

Homework Equations

f=μn
F=ma
v^2=v_0^2+2a(x-x_0)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've already figured out the acceleration of the puck using the third equation I listed, which came out to be 12.5m/s. Problem is, I can't figure out how to find the mass of the puck. Which I need to know in order to calculate the normal force. Even then, I would still have two variables since I don't know (f) or (μ) where I'm trying to find (μ).

Help please? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the mass be represented by the variable, m. It will cancel out.

Related to Calculating Coefficient of Friction in a Hockey Puck Sliding Problem

What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of objects that are in contact with each other.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that keeps an object at rest, whereas kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object.

What factors affect friction?

The factors that affect friction include the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness and temperature of the surfaces.

How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between surfaces in contact, or by making the surfaces smoother.

What are some real-life examples of friction?

Some examples of friction in everyday life include walking on the ground, rubbing your hands together to create warmth, and using brakes to stop a car.