Calculating Combined Moment for 70lb Forces

In summary, the conversation is about computing the combined moment of two forces (F = 70 lb) about different points (O, C, D). The moments are positive if counterclockwise and negative if clockwise. The conversation also discusses the use of M = r x F and M = Fd equations, and the importance of correctly measuring the moment arm from the reference point to the head of the force vector.
J-dizzal

Homework Statement

For F = 70 lb, compute the combined moment of the two forces about (a) point O, (b) point C, (c) point D. The moments are positive if counterclockwise, negative if clockwise.

Homework Equations

M = F d , M = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

eb7827a6-ea06-4264-b498-46a8d2b9d9da_zpsfrvx7swv.jpg
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
The force F is a vector, and your calculations treat it as if it were a scalar.

Do you understand how to apply M = r x F ?

SteamKing said:

would it be like M = r x F where r= displacement vector from A to 0?

SteamKing said:

i tried but i must be making a mistake
20150624_210536_zps6csfxhl7.jpg

The moment arm is the vector rOB , which is measured from point O to point B. Your calculation shows the opposite.

The moment arm should be measured from the reference point of the moment to the head of the force vector.

SteamKing said:
The moment arm is the vector rOB , which is measured from point O to point B. Your calculation shows the opposite.

The moment arm should be measured from the reference point of the moment to the head of the force vector.
So when using M = rF, the vector r is always measured from the point of moment to the to the head of the vector. so the would look like to vectors with the heads pointing toward each other? And what about M = Fd? the distance line should always travel to the head of the vector? unless you negate the vector then the tail is ok?

FAQ: Calculating Combined Moment for 70lb Forces

1. How do I calculate the combined moment for 70lb forces?

To calculate the combined moment for 70lb forces, you will need to first determine the distance between each force and the reference point. Then, multiply the force by its distance and add all of the moments together. This will give you the combined moment for the 70lb forces.

2. Can I use the same formula for calculating combined moment for any number of forces?

Yes, the formula for calculating combined moment can be used for any number of forces. Just make sure to include the distance from each force to the reference point and add all of the moments together.

3. What unit of measurement is used for combined moment?

Combined moment is typically measured in pound-feet (lb-ft) or Newton-meters (N-m). However, it's important to check the specific units required for your calculation to ensure accuracy.

4. How is combined moment different from individual moments?

Combined moment is the sum of all individual moments acting on a body, while individual moments only consider one force at a time. Combined moment takes into account the overall rotational effect of multiple forces on a body.

5. How can I use the concept of combined moment in real-life applications?

The concept of combined moment is used in many real-life applications, such as structural engineering, mechanical design, and even sports. It helps determine the stability and strength of structures and objects by analyzing the combined effect of multiple forces acting on them.