Calculating Complex Integral for a Half Circle and Line - Step by Step Guide

In summary, The conversation discusses a question about calculating the index of a curve, defined as j = j1 * j2, where j1 is a half circle with radius r and j2 is a line from (-r,0) to (r,0). The formula for calculating the index is Ind(a) = 1/(2*pi*i) * integral(dz/(z-a)). The problem arises when trying to calculate the index of the line, as it is not a closed loop. The person is seeking assistance with this issue.
Erikve
Hello,

I have a question about a complex integral. The question is about the index of a curve. This curve is defined as:

j = j1 * j2

with j1: r*exp(i*t) with t: [0,pi]
and j2: [-r,r]

This is quite simple: a half cirle followed by a line from (-r,0) through (0,0) to (r,0).
To calculate the index Ind(a) over the curve j:

Ind(a) = 1/(2*pi*i) * integral(dz/(z-a))

Now the problem: I used a curve (a+r*exp(it)) to solve the half circle, this give me 1/2. But how can I calculate the index of the line from (-r,0) to (r,0)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot use the same formula as for the half circle, because it is not a closed loop.Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

FAQ: Calculating Complex Integral for a Half Circle and Line - Step by Step Guide

1. What is a simple complex integral?

A simple complex integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is essentially a generalization of the concept of integration in real analysis.

2. How is a simple complex integral different from a regular integral?

Unlike regular integrals, which are used to find the area under a curve on the real number line, simple complex integrals are used to find the area under a curve in the complex plane. This means that the curve being integrated may be a complex-valued function.

3. What are some applications of simple complex integrals?

Simple complex integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to calculate electric fields in electrostatics, fluid flow in fluid mechanics, and probabilities in quantum mechanics, among others.

4. What is the process for solving a simple complex integral?

The process for solving a simple complex integral involves breaking the integral into smaller, simpler parts and then using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or contour integration to evaluate each part. The final result is then obtained by summing up the individual parts.

5. Are there any limitations to using simple complex integrals?

Like any mathematical tool, simple complex integrals have their limitations. They may not be applicable in certain situations, such as when the function being integrated is not well-behaved or when the contour of integration is too complicated. In these cases, alternate methods may need to be used.