Calculating Compressed air leaks within a system

In summary, to calculate the leak rate CFM and the Energy wasted (kW) you would need to know the pressure of the system (bar), the hole diameter, and the dB reading of the leak. You would then use the equation provided to calculate the leak rate per unit time.
rl424
Hi all, new to the forum, but I was wondering if anyone could help me as I'm going round in circles. After completeing an air leak survey and noting the hole diameter, dB reading of the leak and knowing the pressure of the system (bar) how can I calculate the leak rate CFM and the Energy wasted (kW). Or is there some kind of standard/approximate table I can use.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I've done something similar in the past for testing various units.

You seal input / output of the unit and increase the internal pressure to a set value. You then take internal pressure readings over a set period (we used each minute for 15 minutes).

After which time you know the pressure drop over a set time which you can convert to leakage rate per unit time.

I'll try to dig out the equation for you (it's fairly simple), but if you could describe your setup it would help me determine if it's right for you.

rl424 said:
Hi all, new to the forum, but I was wondering if anyone could help me as I'm going round in circles. After completeing an air leak survey and noting the hole diameter, dB reading of the leak and knowing the pressure of the system (bar) how can I calculate the leak rate CFM and the Energy wasted (kW). Or is there some kind of standard/approximate table I can use.

Thanks in advance

I've done this for my work also. I used a chart like this one for the flow calculation for an example of a 1/8th inch hole leak at 24-7. http://www.trident.on.ca/orifice-air-flow.htm
Divide the flow into the compressors capacity and find the percent of it's capacity. Multiply the compressor loaded kw by the calculated percent of the leak. That times the utility kwh rate is part of your cost. The other cost is the maintenance of the compressor for the percent of the leaks. The cost of air leaks in a large plant is mind-blowing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello and welcome to the forum! Calculating compressed air leaks within a system can be a complex task, but there are some steps you can take to estimate the leak rate and energy wasted.

First, you will need to convert the pressure of the system from bar to psi, as most leak rate and energy calculations use psi as the unit of measurement. You can use a conversion calculator or formula to do this.

Next, you can use a leak rate calculator, which can be found online or as a downloadable tool, to input the hole diameter, psi, and other relevant information to estimate the leak rate in CFM (cubic feet per minute). Keep in mind that these calculators provide an estimate and may not be 100% accurate.

To calculate the energy wasted, you will need to know the cost of electricity in your location and the operating hours of the system. You can then use the formula: Energy wasted (kW) = Leak rate (CFM) x Pressure (psi) x Operating hours x Cost of electricity per kWh. This will give you an estimate of the energy wasted in kilowatt-hours.

There are also tables and charts available from organizations such as the Compressed Air and Gas Institute (CAGI) that provide estimated leak rates and energy waste based on pressure and hole diameter. However, these may not be as accurate as using a calculator or doing the calculations yourself.

I hope this helps you in your calculations. It's important to regularly monitor and address air leaks in a system to save energy and reduce costs. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Related to Calculating Compressed air leaks within a system

1. How do you identify and locate compressed air leaks within a system?

To identify and locate compressed air leaks, you can use various methods such as ultrasonic detection, soap bubble test, or thermal imaging. Ultrasonic detection works by detecting high-frequency sound waves produced by compressed air leaks. Soap bubble test involves applying a soapy solution to suspected leak areas and observing for bubbles. Thermal imaging uses infrared cameras to detect temperature differences caused by air leaks.

2. Why is it important to calculate compressed air leaks within a system?

Calculating compressed air leaks is important because leaks can significantly impact the efficiency and cost of a compressed air system. Leaks can lead to energy waste, higher utility bills, and reduced productivity. By identifying and fixing leaks, you can save money and improve the overall performance of your system.

3. What factors should be considered when calculating compressed air leaks?

When calculating compressed air leaks, you should consider the size and number of leaks, the pressure of the system, and the cost of energy. It is also important to factor in the impact of leaks on the overall efficiency and productivity of the system. Additionally, the type and age of the equipment and the maintenance practices can also affect the calculation.

4. How do you measure the amount of compressed air leakage within a system?

The amount of compressed air leakage can be measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM) or cubic meters per hour (m3/h). This can be done by using a flow meter or by calculating the difference between the amount of air produced by the compressor and the amount of air used by the system. Other methods such as ultrasonic leak detectors or pressure gauges can also help in measuring the leakage.

5. How can you minimize compressed air leaks within a system?

The best way to minimize compressed air leaks is by implementing a regular maintenance and inspection schedule. This can help identify and fix leaks before they become larger and more costly. Additionally, investing in high-quality equipment and using proper installation techniques can also help reduce the occurrence of leaks. Proper training for employees on how to use and maintain the system can also play a crucial role in minimizing leaks.