Calculating constant velocity, deceleration, and total displacement

In summary: So you would use the equation:v=u+at+ctYou are to find v and you are given u and t. (The object starts from rest.)To reach the velocity v via deceleration you're given time as 5 seconds. So you would use the equation:v=u+at+ct-dt
pamelajanas

Homework Statement

An object starts at rest and accelerates at 2.5 m/s^2 for 12 seconds. It then moves at a constant velocity for 5.0 seconds and then slows down uniformly at 1.5 m/s^2 until it stops. Calculate:
a) the constant velocity
b) the time taken for deceleration
c) the total displacement

Homework Equations

"possibly"
a=v/t or any of the five equations for uniform acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do part c) but i need the first two answers which I'm not sure how to use.
For a) i don't know which method to use: a=v/t or some kinematic equation, or which acceleration to use or which time (the 12 seconds while its accelerating, or the 5 seconds for constant velocity.
For b) i don't know how to do either because it i based on part a)

Physics news on Phys.org
pamelajanas said:

Homework Statement

An object starts at rest and accelerates at 2.5 m/s^2 for 12 seconds. It then moves at a constant velocity for 5.0 seconds and then slows down uniformly at 1.5 m/s^2 until it stops. Calculate:
a) the constant velocity
b) the time taken for deceleration
c) the total displacement

Homework Equations

"possibly"
a=v/t or any of the five equations for uniform acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do part c) but i need the first two answers which I'm not sure how to use.
For a) i don't know which method to use: a=v/t or some kinematic equation, or which acceleration to use or which time (the 12 seconds while its accelerating, or the 5 seconds for constant velocity.
For b) i don't know how to do either because it i based on part a)

Hi pamelajanas !
Welcome to PF !
:)

Hints :
Employ the first equation of 1-D (uniform acceleration) motion to solve for constant velocity, part (a). Also note that a = Δv/Δt and not v/t.
Consequently you will know which kinematic equation to apply to solve for (b) and (c).

Get on it ! :smile:

okay so using the first equation for part a) I would have to rearrange it in order to find v2?
meaning...
v1 = 0 m/s (which makes sense)
Δt= 12s or 5s (12s, which is the time for the acceleration or 5s, which is the time for the constant velocity)
Δd= .. i am not even sure

and i DID mean the a=Δv/Δt, which i do or do not have to use?

sankalpmittal said:
Hi pamelajanas !
Welcome to PF !
:)

Hints :
Employ the first equation of 1-D (uniform acceleration) motion to solve for constant velocity, part (a). Also note that a = Δv/Δt and not v/t.
Consequently you will know which kinematic equation to apply to solve for (b) and (c).

Get on it ! :smile:
i'm still not sure how to do this.. :(
could you please look just above this, which are the reasons why i do not understand this

Last edited:
pamelajanas said:
i'm still not sure how to do this.. :(
could you please look just above this, which are the reasons why i do not understand this

First equation of 1-D motion is :

v=u+at

You are to find v and you are given u and t. (The object starts from rest.)
To reach the velocity v via acceleration you're given time as 12 seconds.

Related to Calculating constant velocity, deceleration, and total displacement

What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity refers to the motion of an object at a consistent speed and direction, with no changes in its velocity over time.

How do you calculate constant velocity?

Constant velocity can be calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken. The formula for constant velocity is v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the displacement, and t is the time.

What is deceleration?

Deceleration is the opposite of acceleration and refers to the decrease in velocity of an object over time. It can also be thought of as negative acceleration.

How do you calculate deceleration?

Deceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for deceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the deceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

What is total displacement?

Total displacement refers to the overall change in position of an object. It takes into account both the distance and direction traveled by the object.

How do you calculate total displacement?

Total displacement can be calculated by finding the difference between the final and initial positions of the object. This can be represented by the formula d = xf - xi, where d is the displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.