Calculating Constant Volume Rate of Change

• Thread starter Stanc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the question asks for the rate at which the width must change in order to maintain a constant volume of 16,000cm^3 when the fixed length is 1m and the height is increasing at a rate of 12 cm/min. Using the formula for volume, the rate of change can be found by setting the derivative of the volume equation to 0 and solving for the rate of change of the width. The final answer is -7.5 cm/min, indicating that the width must decrease at a rate of 7.5 cm/min in order to maintain a constant volume.
Stanc

Homework Statement

A rectangular object has a fixed length of 1m. The height is increasing by 12 cm/min. Find the rate that the width must change so that the volume remains constant at 16 000cm^3 when the height is 10 cm

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's what I tried:

The Volume= Lenth x Width x Height
V = x y z Since x is fixed at 100 , V= 100 y z
dV/dt = 100y dz/dt +100 z dy/dt = 0
z dy/dt = -ydz/dt
(10) (12) = - y dz/dt
When x= 100 and z= 10 and V=16000 , y = 16
dz/dt = - (10)(12)/y = - 120/16 = -7.5 cm/min

However, I don't even know if I am taking the right approach... Please give me assistance

Physics news on Phys.org
Stanc said:

Homework Statement

A rectangular object has a fixed length of 1m. The height is increasing by 12 cm/min. Find the rate that the width must change so that the volume remains constant at 16 000cm^3 when the height is 10 cm

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's what I tried:

The Volume= Lenth x Width x Height
V = x y z Since x is fixed at 100 , V= 100 y z
dV/dt = 100y dz/dt +100 z dy/dt = 0
z dy/dt = -ydz/dt
(10) (12) = - y dz/dt
When x= 100 and z= 10 and V=16000 , y = 16
dz/dt = - (10)(12)/y = - 120/16 = -7.5 cm/min

However, I don't even know if I am taking the right approach... Please give me assistance

Looks OK to me, but I didn't check that closely. It's reasonable to get a negative rate, since one dimension is increasing, and one is constant. It has to be true that the third dimension is decreasing, this you get a negative rate.

It would have been helpful to use variables that matched what they represent - h for height, and w for width. I have to do a bit of translation with y and z.

Mark44 said:
Looks OK to me, but I didn't check that closely. It's reasonable to get a negative rate, since one dimension is increasing, and one is constant. It has to be true that the third dimension is decreasing, this you get a negative rate.

It would have been helpful to use variables that matched what they represent - h for height, and w for width. I have to do a bit of translation with y and z.

Ok sorry about the representation thing but is my approach correct? I just don't understand why I didnt have to use the chain rule...

Related to Calculating Constant Volume Rate of Change

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept in calculus that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is essentially the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a graph.

2. How is the derivative used to calculate rates?

The derivative can be used to calculate rates by taking the derivative of a function and plugging in the specific value for the independent variable. This will give the instantaneous rate of change at that specific point.

3. What is the difference between average rate and instantaneous rate?

The average rate of change is the ratio of the change in the output variable to the change in the input variable over a given interval. The instantaneous rate of change, on the other hand, is the rate at a specific point in time or space, rather than over an entire interval.

4. How is the chain rule used to calculate rates?

The chain rule is a calculus rule that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. This is useful when calculating rates because it allows us to find the rate of change for more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of rates in calculus?

Rates in calculus have many real-world applications, such as calculating the speed of an object at a given time, finding the rate of change of a population over time, or determining the rate of flow in a pipe. They are also used in fields like economics, physics, and engineering to analyze and predict various rates of change.