Calculating Conveyor Belt Capacity: Solving a Work and Power Problem

• Thread starter DethRose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Work
In summary, the problem states that a conveyor belt is driven by a motor rated at 35 kW, but only 73% of the rated power is available for useful work. The task is to raise and deposit coal into a hopper 21.1 m above, and the question is how many kilograms of coal can be delivered per minute. The motor is calculated to be 25.55 kW at 73%, and it requires 123 kg/s of coal to be moved up 21.1 m. The mass delivered in one minute can be computed using this information.
DethRose
Hey i have another work and power problem that i have no idea what to do on

this one states

a conveyor belt is driven by a motor rated at 35 kW. Only 73% of the rated power is available to do useful work. The coal is to be raised and deposited into a hopper 21.1 m above. How many kilograms of coal can be delivered per minute.

i found that the motor is 25.55 kW at 73% but that's as far as i got lol

help please

Physics news on Phys.org
DethRose said:

this one states

a conveyor belt is driven by a motor rated at 35 kW. Only 73% of the rated power is available to do useful work. The coal is to be raised and deposited into a hopper 21.1 m above. How many kilograms of coal can be delivered per minute.

help please

How much energy does it require to move 1 kg of coal up 21.1 m?

DethRose said:
this one states
a conveyor belt is driven by a motor rated at 35 kW. Only 73% of the rated power is available to do useful work. The coal is to be raised and deposited into a hopper 21.1 m above. How many kilograms of coal can be delivered per minute ?
help please

Power is work/time=force*velocity.From here u can say that
[tex]P=\frac{F\cdot h}{t}=\frac{mg\cdot h}{t}\Rightarrow \frac{m}{t}=\frac{P}{gh} [/tex]
The rate (mass carried per second) is:
[tex] \frac{25550W}{9.80665ms^{-2} 21.1m} approx.=123Kg/s [/tex]

I'll let u compute the mass carried in one minute.

Daniel.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Conveyor Belt Capacity: Solving a Work and Power Problem

1. How do I calculate work and power?

In order to calculate work, you multiply the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves. The formula for work is W = F * d. Power is then calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time it took to do that work. The formula for power is P = W / t.

2. What are the units for work and power?

The SI unit for work is joule (J) and the SI unit for power is watt (W). However, other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) and horsepower (hp) are also commonly used to measure work and power.

3. What is the difference between work and power?

Work is the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and the object moves a certain distance. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which work is done or the amount of work done per unit of time.

4. How does the angle of the force affect work and power?

If the force applied to an object is at an angle to the direction of motion, only the component of the force in the direction of motion will do work. This means that the force and distance values used in the work formula should be the values in the direction of motion. The angle of the force does not affect power, as power is only dependent on the amount of work done and the time it takes to do it.

5. Can work and power be negative values?

Yes, work and power can have negative values. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the object's motion. In this case, the work done by the force is considered negative because the force is acting against the motion. Negative power can also occur if work is being done on an object at a slower rate (taking longer) than it is losing energy.