Calculating Cross Section from Neutron Absorption in a Gold Foil

In summary: And then i should have divided N by N0 to get the fraction, rather than multiplying by 100%...In summary, the question asks for the total thermal neutron cross-section for 197Au, given that 70% of the neutrons are removed when traversing a 2mm thick foil. The solution involves using equations to find the number of nuclei per unit volume and the cross-section, but there is a discrepancy in the units used for mass, resulting in a different answer from the given solution.
Dovahkiin

Homework Statement

In an experiment carried out with a beam of thermal neutrons it is found that on traversing a 2mm thick foil of 197Au, some 70% of the neutrons are removed. What is the total thermal neutron cross-section for this isotope of gold? (Density of gold: 19300 kg m-3)

Homework Equations

1. N = N0 exp(-xnσ) - x is thickness, n is number of nuclei per unit volume, σ is cross section
2. moles = mass/A
3. n0 = Na x moles - Na is avagadros number, n0 is number of nuclei

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted this question and appear to have used the same method as in the solution given by the professor, but i get a different answer... Am i right?

Firstly, to find n i substitute equation 2 into 3, giving n0 = (Na x m)/A

Then i divide this by the volume: n = n0/V = (Na x m)/(A x V) = (Na/A) x ρ (ρ = density)

Next i rearrange eqn 1: N/N0 = (70%)/(100%) = 0.7 = exp(-xnσ)

This gives: σ = (-ln(0.7))/(xn)

Now I am not sure if i should be using m in grams or kilograms?

My answer:
σ = 3.02 x 10^(-30) m^2 = 0.0302 barns (using m in grams)
σ = 3.02 x 10^(-27) m^2 = 30.2 barns (using m in kg)

Neither of these answers matches the answer given, 102 barns...
Even though my method is identical to the professors method (although he gives no intermediate results, so i don't know if/where i have gone wrong...)

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't seem to be able to edit my OP anymore, but I've realized i haven't fully defined all the variables (units in brackets):

. N is the number of particles remaining after the foil
. N0 is the starting number of particles
. x is thickness (m)
. n is number of nuclei per unit volume (m^-3)
. σ is cross section (m^2)
. m is the mass (grams or kg?)
. A is the mass number
. Na is avagadros number
. n0 is number of nuclei

Related to Calculating Cross Section from Neutron Absorption in a Gold Foil

1. How is cross section calculated from neutron absorption in a gold foil?

Cross section is calculated by dividing the number of neutrons absorbed by the total number of incident neutrons, and then multiplying by the thickness of the gold foil.

2. What is the formula for calculating cross section?

The formula for calculating cross section is: σ = NA/Nincident × t, where σ is the cross section, NA is the number of neutrons absorbed, Nincident is the total number of incident neutrons, and t is the thickness of the gold foil.

3. How is the number of neutrons absorbed in a gold foil determined?

The number of neutrons absorbed can be determined by measuring the decrease in neutron intensity after passing through the gold foil, using a neutron detector.

4. What are the units for cross section?

Cross section is typically measured in units of barns (b), where 1 barn = 10-24 cm2.

5. How does the composition of the gold foil affect the cross section calculation?

The composition of the gold foil can affect the cross section calculation if there are impurities present that can also absorb neutrons. In this case, the cross section would need to be corrected for the contribution of these impurities.