Calculating Curie Constant for Iron Ammonium Alum using Curie's Law

• Thread starter AStaunton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation is about finding the Curie constant for iron ammonium alum using a given table of temperature and magnetic susceptibility values. One person suggests rearranging equations to find C, while another suggests plotting a graph to find the gradient. The conversation also brings up another equation for C, but it is mentioned that the values for B are needed to use it. The correct value for C is not provided, but the incorrect value of 0.2 is mentioned. The conversation ends with a discussion about the possibility of using the given table to find the values needed for the equation.
AStaunton
HI there..

The problem is given the below table for iron ammonium alum find C the Curie constant for this material..

T(in kelvin).....X_m
15......(129*10^-4)
100......(19.4*10^-4)
200......(9.7*10^-4)
300......(6.5*10^-4)

as X = C/T I thought simply rearrange:
=> XT = C

and so take any two values from above table and plug them into equation:
=> C = 15*(129*10^-4)K.A/T.m ---------where 15 and (129*10^-4) are taken from above table...

However, this is not the correct value for the curie constant for this material...
Can anyone please tell me where I am going wrong?

Thanks

Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be better to plot a graph of X vs 1/T. The gradient of that line will give you C.

Thanks for your reply...
using your method of plotting X V 1/T the value for C (curie constant) I get is around 0.2...however, this is not in agreement with the answer that I have been provided with.. so am i perhaps overlooking a subtlety in the question?...the only information provided was the table I gave in the previous post...

What was the value you are given?

It was incorrect to say I was given an answer...It is an online problem and all it tells is if an answer is right or wrong, and according to this, C=0.2 is not correct..
There is also another equation associated with C:

M=C*B/T

Would it be possible to use this to find value of C?
ie. is there some way of find M,B and T using the table I already posted?

Cheers

AStaunton said:
M=C*B/T

I assume M is the same as Xm, if that is the case then you cannot get the value of C without knowing values of B for the same T.

If the relation you are given was Xm=C/T then that 'C' is not the same C as above.

Related to Calculating Curie Constant for Iron Ammonium Alum using Curie's Law

What is Curie's Law?

Curie's Law is a physical law that describes the relationship between temperature and magnetic susceptibility in a material. It states that the magnetic susceptibility of a material is inversely proportional to its temperature, and can be expressed as χ = C/T, where χ is the magnetic susceptibility, C is the Curie constant, and T is the temperature.

How is Curie's Law used to calculate the Curie constant?

To calculate the Curie constant, we can rearrange Curie's Law to C = χ x T. This means that we can determine the Curie constant by measuring the magnetic susceptibility of a material at different temperatures and plotting a graph of χ against T. The slope of this graph will give us the value of the Curie constant.

Why is the Curie constant important for iron ammonium alum?

The Curie constant is an important property of a material because it helps us understand its magnetic behavior. In the case of iron ammonium alum, it is a magnetic material that exhibits paramagnetism, meaning it is weakly attracted to a magnetic field. Knowing the Curie constant allows us to predict how the material will behave under different temperatures and magnetic fields.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the Curie constant?

The accuracy of calculating the Curie constant can be affected by experimental errors, such as inaccuracies in measuring the magnetic susceptibility or temperature, as well as external factors like impurities in the material or magnetic interactions between particles. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to obtain an accurate value for the Curie constant.

Can Curie's Law be applied to all materials?

No, Curie's Law only applies to materials that exhibit paramagnetism or ferromagnetism. It does not apply to diamagnetic or antiferromagnetic materials. Additionally, Curie's Law is only valid within a certain temperature range for each material, so it may not accurately describe the behavior of a material at extreme temperatures.