Calculating Current and Energy in Circuit with Resistors and Batteries

In summary, in Question 1, the circuit could be modeled using Kirchoff's laws. The current running into the circuit before the two loops would be the same as the current running out, but would need to be found beforehand. In Question 2, the law of Ohm could be applied, but without success. In Question 3, the resistance needed to limit the current would need to be determined, and a diagram of the circuit would be helpful.
Donkey Kong
Hi out there! I've been handled 3 questions which for me is rather hard and therefore I'm asking the experts.
Any help would be great:)
Donkey Kong

Question 1)
A circuit consists of a 15Ω and a 30Ω resistor connected in parallel across a battery of internal resistance 2 Ω. If 60W is dissipated by the 15 Ω resistor, calculate
(a) the current in the 30 Ω resistor
(b) the terminal potential difference and emf of the battery
(c) the total energy dissipated in the external circuit in one minute
(d) the quantity of electricity (charge) through the battery in one minute.

Question 2)
A coil of 20 Ω resistances is joined in parallel with a coil of R Ω resistance. This combination is then joined in series with a household apparatus A. This whole circuit is connected to 100V mains. What must be the value of R so that A shall dissipate 600W with 10A passing through it?

Question 3)
A person wants to move a 20W car stereo system from an old car with a 6V battery to a new car with a 12V battery. What is the resistance of the resistor that should be connected in series with the radio to limit the current, and what is its minimum power rating?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

What have you attempted thus far? What are your thoughts on the problems?

Thank you:)
I'm not sure how to do these, in Question 1 I thought about the thing that the resistors were parallel connected. Which should give a resistance on 10 ohm. BUt then I'm not sure what to do.
In question 2 I've tried to use the law of Ohm, but without any succes

In question 3 I have no idea!

I'm sorry my english isn't very good, I'm from Denmark were I'm studying as a Global Business Engineer.. Usually I don't like people doing my assignments, but I have to admit that i' lost at this area

I've been trying articles all over the website but nothing will help me

Okay, let's start with question one.

Can you use Kirchoff's laws to write expressions for the potential differences around the two loops of the circuit?

The amount of I running into the circuit is the same running out..But how am I going to find the find the current running into the circuit before the loops?

Donkey Kong said:
The amount of I running into the circuit is the same running out..But how am I going to find the find the current running into the circuit before the loops?
I asked for the potential differences, but we can do the currents first if you like.

Have you drawn a circuit diagram? If not, it would be a good idea to draw one at this point and post it so that we can both reference it in our subsequent posts.

I'm not quite sure how it would be.. But if 60 W is dissipated from r1 then the current running through r2 should be 60w/r2= 60w/30ohm = I=2 ?

Related to Calculating Current and Energy in Circuit with Resistors and Batteries

1. What is DC electricity?

DC (Direct Current) electricity is the flow of electric charge in a constant direction. It is produced by sources such as batteries, solar cells, and generators.

2. How does DC electricity differ from AC electricity?

AC (Alternating Current) electricity changes direction periodically, while DC electricity flows in only one direction. AC electricity is used in most household appliances, while DC electricity is commonly used in electronic devices and vehicles.

3. How is DC electricity measured?

DC electricity is measured in volts (V), amps (A), and ohms (Ω). A voltmeter is used to measure voltage, an ammeter measures current, and an ohmmeter measures resistance.

4. What are the main applications of DC electricity?

DC electricity is used in a wide range of applications, including powering electronic devices, charging batteries, and running small motors. It is also used in renewable energy systems, such as solar panels and wind turbines.

5. What are the potential dangers of working with DC electricity?

DC electricity can be dangerous if not handled properly. It can cause electric shock, burns, and even death. It is important to always follow safety precautions and use appropriate protective gear when working with DC electricity.