Calculating Current and Phase Angle in a Series RLC Circuit

In summary, a circuit with a 215 resistor and a 0.200 H inductor connected in series across a generator with a frequency of 120 Hz and a voltage of 235 V will result in a current of 1.558 A. However, this answer is incorrect and the correct answer requires using the formula Z=\sqrt{R^2 + (X_L - X_C)^2} to calculate impedance. Using this formula, the impedance is found to be 262.49 A, which is the correct answer for the current in the circuit.
kdrobey

Homework Statement

A circuit consists of a 215 resistor and a 0.200 H inductor. These two elements are connected in series across a generator that has a frequency of 120 Hz and a voltage of 235 V.

(a) What is the current in the circuit?

(b) Determine the phase angle between the current and the voltage of the generator.

Homework Equations

Xl=2(pi)fL
Irms=Vrms/Xl

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation to get 150.796 for Xl, then i plugged that into the equation Irms=Vrms/Xl to find current, but that gave me 1.558, which was not the right answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Your second equation in #2 above is incomplete. The resistor and inductor are in series, so you must use their total impedance in the V = I * Z equation. Does that fix it for you?

I'm still not getting it. I used V=IZ. I have V, which is 235 volts right? still, i did not have I or Z. So i used Z=(square root of)R^2 +(Xl-Xc)^2, and I got .89 for Z. Then plugging back into V=IZ, (235v)=I(.89)=262.49A for current?

Hi kdrobey,

kdrobey said:
I'm still not getting it. I used V=IZ. I have V, which is 235 volts right? still, i did not have I or Z. So i used Z=(square root of)R^2 +(Xl-Xc)^2, and I got .89 for Z. Then plugging back into V=IZ, (235v)=I(.89)=262.49A for current?

For these series RLC problems the impedance is

[tex]
Z=\sqrt{R^2 + (X_L - X_C)^2}
[/tex]

and so the impedance cannot be smaller than the resistance, so something is wrong there. What were the actual numbers you used to calculate Z?

FAQ: Calculating Current and Phase Angle in a Series RLC Circuit

What is the purpose of finding the current of a circuit?

Finding the current of a circuit is important for understanding how electricity flows through a circuit. It can help determine the power of a circuit and identify any issues or malfunctions within the circuit.

How is the current of a circuit calculated?

The current of a circuit is calculated using Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This can be represented as I = V/R.

What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for current is the ampere (A), which is defined as the amount of electric charge passing through a point in a circuit per unit time.

Can the current in a circuit change?

Yes, the current in a circuit can change depending on the voltage and resistance. If the voltage or resistance increases, the current will also increase. If the voltage or resistance decreases, the current will decrease.

How does the current flow in a circuit?

The current flows from the positive terminal of the power source, through the circuit components, and back to the negative terminal of the power source. The direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of electron flow.