Calculating Current in Parallel Plate with Positive and Negative Charges

• Thread starter IPwnNubs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary: Okay so if we have 1C of negative charge flowing per second, is the current -1C/s or just 1C/s. I've never really understood whether to include the negative charge or not on currents.No it's going to be positive...because after understanding that electrons flow, we're going to have to use the conventional current...i.e. Flow of positive charges.
IPwnNubs
Okay, if we have a parallel plate and we force a negative charge to the negative plate and a positive charge to the positive plate (both having the same charge) and release them both at the same time, how do we calculate the current?

Physics news on Phys.org
More information is needed namely the capacitance of your arrangement,the magnitude of the charge and the resistance of the circuit.

Last edited:
Dadface said:
More information is needed namely the capacitance of your arrangement,the magnitude of the charge and the resistance of the circuit.

i'm not actually looking for a value, just wondering how in such a system current would be determined

IPwnNubs said:
i'm not actually looking for a value, just wondering how in such a system current would be determined

Hello IPwnNUBS.
Show what you already know and report back.

Are you talking about capacitors here?
When we say that one plate is negatively charged and the other is positively charged, it actually means that the negative plate has an excess of electrons which comes from the positive plate,
so positive can also mean a deficit of negative charge.
There is nothing such as a positive charge in electric circuits...though we use the word positive charge because the flow of positive charges was found to be equivalent to the flow of electrons in opposite direction (also known as conventional current).

uzair_ha91 said:
When we say that one plate is negatively charged and the other is positively charged, it actually means that the negative plate has an excess of electrons which comes from the positive plate,
There is nothing such as a positive charge in electric circuits...though we use the word positive charge because the flow of positive charges was found to be equivalent to the flow of electrons in opposite direction (also known as conventional current).

True.Treating the OPs arrangement as a capacitor is an easy way to answer his question but it may be homework and he needs to show what he already knows.

uzair_ha91 said:

I actually have a question on this. A positive charge going right would have the same effect as a negative charge going left. But would both currents be equal? Or would one current be positive and the other be negative. Also, is current a scalar or vector quantity? Thanks

The scientists in the past didn't know that electrons create current, so they imagined that current is due to a flow of positive charges (which are actually protons/nuclei which don't move at all). But after discovering electrons to be the current creators, they thought:" hey what the hell, why do we have to change the direction of the arrows?? The effects of the current are still the same!" So the positive charges do not move at all.. If you increase the negative charge in a substance, you can think of it as decreasing the positive charge, the removal of electrons is causing a positive charge.

uzair_ha91 said:
The scientists in the past didn't know that electrons create current, so they imagined that current is due to a flow of positive charges (which are actually protons/nuclei which don't move at all). But after discovering electrons to be the current creators, they thought:" hey what the hell, why do we have to change the direction of the arrows?? The effects of the current are still the same!" So the positive charges do not move at all.. If you increase the negative charge in a substance, you can think of it as decreasing the positive charge, the removal of electrons is causing a positive charge.

Okay so if we have 1C of negative charge flowing per second, is the current -1C/s or just 1C/s. I've never really understood whether to include the negative charge or not on currents.

No it's going to be positive...because after understanding that electrons flow, we're going to have to use the conventional current...i.e. Flow of positive charges.

FAQ: Calculating Current in Parallel Plate with Positive and Negative Charges

1. How do I calculate the current in a parallel plate with positive and negative charges?

The current in a parallel plate with positive and negative charges can be calculated using the equation I = nAvq, where I is the current, n is the number of charge carriers per unit volume, A is the cross-sectional area of the plates, v is the drift velocity of the charge carriers, and q is the charge of each carrier.

2. What is the relationship between current and charge in a parallel plate with positive and negative charges?

The current in a parallel plate with positive and negative charges is directly proportional to the charge of each carrier. This means that an increase in the charge of each carrier will result in an increase in the current, and vice versa.

3. How does the distance between the plates affect the current in a parallel plate with positive and negative charges?

The distance between the plates has an inverse relationship with the current. This means that as the distance between the plates decreases, the current will increase, and vice versa. This is because a shorter distance between the plates allows for a stronger electric field, resulting in a higher current.

4. Can the current in a parallel plate with positive and negative charges be negative?

No, the current in a parallel plate with positive and negative charges cannot be negative. Current is a measure of the flow of positive charge, so it can only have a positive value. However, the direction of the current can be negative, indicating that the charge carriers are moving in the opposite direction of conventional current.

5. How does the charge density affect the current in a parallel plate with positive and negative charges?

The charge density, or the amount of charge per unit area on the plates, has a direct relationship with the current. This means that an increase in the charge density will result in an increase in the current, and vice versa.