Calculating Current Through a Battery in a Series Circuit

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine the current through a 10-volt battery in a circuit with multiple resistors. The suggested methods include using Kirchhoff's voltage law and current law, as well as the superposition principle. However, the individual attempting to solve the problem runs into trouble due to algebraic errors.
roam

Homework Statement

Determine the current through the 10-V battery.

[PLAIN]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8016/crct.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

This is very confusing. I know the equivalent resistance of the circuit is 15 since all resistors are in series. So, the current drawn from the 15V battery is I15V=15/15=1 A, and the current drawn from the 10V battery is I10V=10/15=0.66 A. What can I do next? The correct answer has to be 2.3 A, but I can't figure out how they've got that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The resistors aren't in series. To be in series, they need to be connected end to end with nothing else connected to the middle nodes.

Start by labeling the three currents in the circuit. Then apply Kirchoff's voltage law to two loops and Kirchoff's current law to one of the nodes. This will give you three equations and three unknowns, which you can solve.

I think you can also use the superposition principle here (correct me if I'm wrong...)
First short one of the sources, solving for the voltages and currents, then do it for the other one. Each time you have only one source and the resistors are connected in parallel or in series. The answer is a superposition of the different results you got for each branch.

vela said:
The resistors aren't in series. To be in series, they need to be connected end to end with nothing else connected to the middle nodes.

Start by labeling the three currents in the circuit. Then apply Kirchoff's voltage law to two loops and Kirchoff's current law to one of the nodes. This will give you three equations and three unknowns, which you can solve.

Okay, so I labled the currents:

[PLAIN]http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1738/picturebl.png

This Kirchhoff's voltage law gives the equations:

5I1+5I2=25
5I1+5I2=10
I2=1.5

Kirchhoff's junction law gives:

I1+I2-I3=0

So from the very first equation we get I1=3.5, and from the junction law we get that I3=5.

If the current through the 10V battery is the I1, why is it that my answer is wrong? It should be 2.3 not 3.5...

Last edited by a moderator:
roam said:
This Kirchhoff's voltage law gives the equations:

5I1+5I2=25
5I1+5I2=10
I2=1.5
These make no sense. This could be part of your problem.

Kirchhoff's junction law gives:

I1+I2-I3=0
OK.

So from the very first equation [that makes no sense...] we get I1=3.5, ...

Recommend you refresh your mind with the correct method of doing KVL mesh analysis, and give it another try.

One suggestion: Now that you've assumed directions for the currents, for each resistor, put a plus sign where a current enters and a minus sign where the current leaves to indicate the sense of potential difference across the resistor. As you go around a loop, when you go across a resistor from plus to minus, that means the voltage drops, so that term goes into the equation with a minus sign. If you go from minus to plus, that means the voltage increases, so that term goes into the equation with a plus sign.

Okay, I revised Kirchhoff's voltage law, I tried it again:

Left Inside Loop:

10-5I1-5(I1-I2)=0 ...(1)

Right Inside Loop:

15-5I2-5(I2-I1)=0 ...(2)

Outside Loop (looking at the contribution of the 15V battery to the brach with 10V battery in it):

15-5I+10-5I=0
I=2.5

I rewrote the first equation in terms of I1 and substituted it in the second:

I1=1-0.5I2

Substituting:

15-5I2-5(I2-(1-0.5I2))=0

I2=0.8

And substituting this into (1) we get I1=0.6.

The only current that I think goes past through the battery is the 2.5. But I still don't get it, how did they get 2.3 Amps?

roam said:
Okay, I revised Kirchhoff's voltage law, I tried it again:

Left Inside Loop:

10-5I1-5(I1-I2)=0 ...(1)

Right Inside Loop:

15-5I2-5(I2-I1)=0 ...(2)
These are correct.
Outside Loop (looking at the contribution of the 15V battery to the brach with 10V battery in it):

15-5I+10-5I=0
I=2.5
This last equation is wrong, but it doesn't matter since it's not necessary.
I rewrote the first equation in terms of I1 and substituted it in the second:

I1=1-0.5I2
You made an algebra error solving for I1.
Substituting:

15-5I2-5(I2-(1-0.5I2))=0

I2=0.8
You made another error solving for I2.

You really need to be more careful doing the algebra.

Last edited:
Oops, thank you for all your guidance. :smile:

Related to Calculating Current Through a Battery in a Series Circuit

What is current through a battery?

Current through a battery refers to the flow of electric charge, typically in the form of electrons, from the battery's negative terminal to its positive terminal.

How is current through a battery measured?

Current is typically measured in units of amperes (A) using a device called an ammeter. The ammeter is connected in series with the battery, allowing it to measure the flow of current through the circuit.

What factors affect the current through a battery?

The current through a battery is affected by the voltage of the battery, the resistance of the circuit, and the internal resistance of the battery itself. Additionally, the type of material used in the battery and its temperature can also affect the current.

How does current through a battery impact its lifespan?

The amount of current flowing through a battery can impact its lifespan. Higher currents can cause a battery to discharge faster and potentially shorten its overall lifespan. It is important to use a battery with the appropriate current rating for the device it is powering.

What happens to the current through a battery when it is fully charged?

When a battery is fully charged, the current through it decreases and eventually stops. This is because the chemical reactions within the battery have reached equilibrium and there is no longer a buildup of charge at the electrodes.