Calculating Degenerate Remnants and Main Sequence Lifetime for a Cloud Collapse

• Thread starter AnniB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cloud
In summary, the first problem involves calculating the type of degenerate remnant that would result from a 100% efficient collapse of a molecular hydrogen cloud with a uniform temperature of 15 K and a number density of 5x109 m-3. The second problem involves finding the initial mass of a star that would have a main sequence lifetime equal to the free fall timescale for the cloud, assuming that the cloud is able to form multiple stars of various masses. Calculations involving the mass, radius, and density of the cloud are needed for both problems.
AnniB

Homework Statement

1. Consider a cloud that consists entirely of molecular hydrogen. The temperature is a uniform 15 K and the number density of particles is 5x109 m-3. Assuming a 100% efficient collapse, subsequent star birth and normal evolution, what type of degenerate remnant will result? Justify your answer with appropriate calculations.

2. For the same cloud in problem 1, assume that the cloud is able to form multiple stars of various masses. Calculate the initial mass of a star whose main sequence lifetime will equal the free fall timescale for the cloud.

Homework Equations

N=Mcloud/mH
M=(4/3)[itex]\pi[/itex]r3[itex]\rho[/itex]
r=(3M/(4[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex]))1/3
Jean's Mass and Radius (?)
tff=[itex]\sqrt{}3\pi/32Gρ[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did, since I was given the number density N, was to solve for the mass of the cloud by rearranging the first equation that I gave up above. However, when I do that, I get a really low number for the mass of the star, and I don't think it's actually possible. The only thing I can think of is that it's actually ρ, not N, but that doesn't seem right. Also, if I do that it looks like there will be a lot of messy calculation to acquire the mass and radius, and I'm not sure if I need to do all that to get the answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the second problem, I'm not sure where to start. I know that I need to find the mass of the star whose main sequence lifetime will equal the free fall timescale for the cloud, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Related to Calculating Degenerate Remnants and Main Sequence Lifetime for a Cloud Collapse

1. What is cloud collapse/degeneracy?

Cloud collapse/degeneracy refers to the process in which a cloud of gas and dust in outer space collapses under its own gravity, leading to the formation of a star or planet.

2. How does cloud collapse/degeneracy occur?

Cloud collapse/degeneracy occurs when a cloud of gas and dust reaches a critical mass, causing its own gravity to pull the particles closer together. As the particles get closer, their gravitational potential energy is converted into thermal energy, which causes the cloud to heat up and eventually form a star or planet.

3. What is the role of degeneracy pressure in cloud collapse?

Degeneracy pressure is a quantum mechanical effect that resists further compression of particles, preventing the cloud from collapsing further. This pressure helps to balance the inward pull of gravity and allows the cloud to maintain its stability while it heats up and forms a star or planet.

4. Can cloud collapse/degeneracy lead to the formation of multiple stars?

Yes, cloud collapse/degeneracy can lead to the formation of multiple stars. When a cloud collapses, it can break up into smaller fragments due to variations in density and temperature. Each of these fragments can then collapse under its own gravity, forming multiple stars within the same cloud.

5. What is the significance of studying cloud collapse/degeneracy?

Studying cloud collapse/degeneracy is crucial for understanding the formation and evolution of stars and planets. It also helps us understand the physical processes and conditions in the early universe, as well as the potential for habitability in other planetary systems.