Calculating Density and Viscosity of Oil Using Ball Drop Experiment

• Thread starter mmoadi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving two small balls being lowered into an oil-filled container, and the final velocities of these balls are measured. The density and viscosity of the oil are then calculated using the linear law of resistance. After several attempts, the correct formulas are determined and the final density of the oil is found to be 900 kg/m³, with a viscosity of 5.88 Pa s. The conversation ends with gratitude for the assistance provided.
mmoadi

Homework Statement

We are lowering two small balls into the container filled with oil. We are measuring the final velocities of these balls achieved. For the steel ball we measure the final velocity of v1 = 0.23m/s and for the aluminum ball we measure v2 = 0.06m/ s. What are the density and the viscosity of oil, if the radius's of both balls are r = 3mm; the density of steel is ρ1 = 7800 kg/m3, and the density of aluminum is ρ2 = 2700 kg/m3. Assume that the linear law of resistance applies.

Homework Equations

ρ= m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

Volume of the sphere= 4/3 πr³
1000 kg/m³= 1 g/cm³
r= 3 mm= 0.3 cm
ρ= 7800 kg/m³= 7.8 g/cm³
ρ= 2700 kg/m³= 2.7 g/cm³

V= 0.11304 cm³

ρ = m/V → m= ρV

m(steal ball)= 0.88 g
m(aluminum ball)= 0.31 g

And this is all I managed to calculate. I know that conservation of mass and conservation of momentum apply to the density problems, but I don’t know how to apply them to find the density of oil.
I really need help, please!
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculation for the steal ball:

Fd= Fg
6πμrv(1)= m(1)g
μ= m(1)g/ 6πrv(1)
μ= 666.81 Pa s

Calculation for the aluminum ball:

Fd= Fg
6πμrv(2)= m(2)g
μ= m(2)g/ 6πrv(2)
μ= 1045.54 Pa s

So I calculated the viscosity according to Stokes' equation, however I had two balls in the question, one of steel and the other of aluminum so I just went ahead and plugged in both of them in separate equations, and that gave me two different vicosities.

How do I continue?

You can't calculate viscosity not knowing density.

--

Can you please, give me another hint for how to approach my problem?
I'm lost and I would really like to understand the problem and find the solution.

You use the Stoke law n(viscosity)=[2(density of steel-density of oil)*g*R]/(9v1)
v1 is the velocity for steel
Again use the same formula for The case of aluminium and divide one equation with other..so that only the unknown will be the density of oil

In other words - you have two equations in two unknowns.

--
methods

OK, I got the final formula:

ρ (oil)= [ρ(steal)v(aluminum) – ρ(aluminum)v(steal)] / [v(aluminum) – v(steal)]
ρ(oil)= 900 kg/m³

And now for viscosity:

μ= 2/9 [ρ(steal) – ρ(oil) / v(steal)] gr²
μ= 5.88 Pa s

Hopefully, my calculations are now correct!?:shy:
Thank you for helping!:smile:

Related to Calculating Density and Viscosity of Oil Using Ball Drop Experiment

What is a "complicate density problem"?

A "complicate density problem" is a scientific term used to describe a situation where the density of a substance or material is difficult to determine due to various factors such as irregular shape, varying composition, or changing temperature.

Why is it important to solve complicate density problems?

Solving complicate density problems is important because density is a fundamental property of matter and is necessary for understanding the behavior and interactions of different substances. It also has practical applications in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

What are some common methods used to solve complicate density problems?

Some common methods used to solve complicate density problems include measuring the mass and volume of the substance, using mathematical equations based on the substance's physical properties, and conducting experiments under controlled conditions.

What are some challenges that scientists face when dealing with complicate density problems?

One of the main challenges in solving complicate density problems is obtaining accurate and precise measurements of both mass and volume. Another challenge is determining the appropriate units to use, as different units can lead to different results. Additionally, complex shapes or compositions can make it difficult to accurately calculate density using traditional methods.

Are there any tools or technologies that can help scientists solve complicate density problems?

Yes, there are various tools and technologies that can aid scientists in solving complicate density problems. These include specialized equipment such as density meters, computer software for data analysis and modeling, and advanced imaging techniques like X-ray tomography.