Calculating Density of Wood: 5cm x 3cm x 10cm @ 90g

• Thread starter brake4country
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the density of the wood is 6.0 x 10^2 kg/m^3. The calculation for this is (0.6 g/cm^3)(1 kg/1000g)(100000 cm^3/1 m^3). The correct answer is obtained by counting the zeros in 100000 cm^3/1 m^3 and using the conversion factor 1 = (100cm/m)^3.
brake4country

Homework Statement

A block of wood measuring 5 cm x 3 cm x 10 cm has a mass of 90 grams. What is the density of the wood in kg/m^3?

Homework Equations

D=m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this seems trivial but I need to get the math down to a T. I know that it s 06.g/cm^3 but how is this converted to kg/m^3? For example, we know that 1 m^3 = 10^6 cm^3. My calculation are as follows:

(0.6 g/cm^3)(1 kg/1000g)(100000 cm^3/1 m^3). I keep getting 60 kg/m^3 but the correct answer is 6.0 x 10^2 kg/m^3. Seriously, what am I continually doing wrong? Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
brake4country said:

Homework Statement

A block of wood measuring 5 cm x 3 cm x 10 cm has a mass of 90 grams. What is the density of the wood in kg/m^3?

Homework Equations

D=m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this seems trivial but I need to get the math down to a T. I know that it s 06.g/cm^3 but how is this converted to kg/m^3? For example, we know that 1 m^3 = 10^6 cm^3. My calculation are as follows:

(0.6 g/cm^3)(1 kg/1000g)(100000 cm^3/1 m^3). I keep getting 60 kg/m^3 but the correct answer is 6.0 x 10^2 kg/m^3. Seriously, what am I continually doing wrong? Thanks for the help!
count the zeros in 100000 cm3/1 m3 . It's wrong.

I am getting conflicting information from my book and from online sources! My book states that 10^6 cm^3 = 1 m^3. ??

brake4country said:
I am getting conflicting information from my book and from online sources! My book states that 10^6 cm^3 = 1 m^3. ??
Which are how many zeros?

Likes SammyS
Wow. Can't believe I missed that! Thanks for catching my careless error!

Don't bother memorizing that conversion. Just write it like this: 1 = (100cm/m)^3

Likes CWatters

Related to Calculating Density of Wood: 5cm x 3cm x 10cm @ 90g

1. What is the formula for calculating the density of wood?

The formula for calculating density is mass divided by volume. In this case, the mass is 90g and the volume is 5cm x 3cm x 10cm = 150cm³. So, the density of this wood is 90g/150cm³ = 0.6 g/cm³.

2. Why is it important to calculate the density of wood?

Calculating the density of wood is important because it can help determine the quality and strength of the wood. It can also be used to compare different types of wood and determine which one is more suitable for a certain purpose.

3. How can I measure the dimensions of the wood accurately?

You can use a ruler or a caliper to measure the dimensions of the wood. Make sure to measure in centimeters and record the measurements in decimal form for more accurate results.

4. How does the density of wood affect its buoyancy in water?

The density of wood affects its buoyancy in water because the denser the wood, the less it will float. This is why heavier woods, such as oak, are often used for building boats or docks.

5. How does the density of wood vary between different types of trees?

The density of wood can vary between different types of trees due to factors such as the tree's age, growth conditions, and the amount of moisture in the wood. Generally, hardwoods tend to have a higher density than softwoods, but the density can vary greatly even within the same type of wood.