Calculating dF/dθ for a Crate Weighing 150 lbs at θ=30°

• Thread starter cmajor47
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weighing
In summary, the force needed to drag a 150 lb crate along a horizontal surface at constant velocity is given by F= (0.3*150)/(cosθ+0.3sinθ). To find dF/dθ at θ=30°, we use the derivative formula and convert the angle to radians. After simplifying, we get dF/dθ= (45sinθ-13.5cosθ)/(cosθ+0.3sinθ)^2, which can then be multiplied by the unit fraction \pi/180 to express the answer in units of pounds/degree.
cmajor47

Homework Statement

The force F (in pounds) acting at an angle θ with the horizontal that is needed to drag a crate weighing W pounds along a horizontal surface at a constant velocity is given by
F= (μW)/(cosθ+μsinθ)
Where μ is a constant called the coefficient of sliding friction between the crate and the surface. Suppose that the crate weighs 150 lbs and that μ=0.3

Find dF/dθ when θ=30°. Express the answer in units of pounds/degree.

Homework Equations

F= (μW)/(cosθ+μsinθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

F= 45/(cosθ+.3sinθ)
dF/dθ=[(cosθ+.3sinθ)(d/dθ 45)]-[45(d/dθ cosθ + .3d/dθ sinθ)] / (cosθ+.3sinθ)2
dF/dθ=[-45(-sinθ+.3cosθ)]/(cosθ+.3sinθ)2
dF/dθ=(45sinθ-13.5cosθ)/(cosθ+.3sinθ)2

My problem is, when I plug in θ=30° isn't my answer in lbs not lbs/degree ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative formulas used for the trig functions assume that the angle is given in radians not degrees. And radians, since they are not really angles at all, do not have units. What you really have is "pounds per radian"- and there are 180 degrees per [itex]\pi[/itex] radians. Multiply by the "unit fraction" [itex]\pi/180[/itex] to convert that to "pounds per degree".

Related to Calculating dF/dθ for a Crate Weighing 150 lbs at θ=30°

What is the formula for calculating dF/dθ for a crate?

The formula for calculating dF/dθ is dF/dθ = Fcosθ, where F is the weight of the crate and θ is the angle of the slope.

How do I calculate dF/dθ for a crate weighing 150 lbs at θ=30°?

To calculate dF/dθ for a crate weighing 150 lbs at θ=30°, plug the values into the formula dF/dθ = Fcosθ. In this case, F = 150 lbs and θ = 30°. The calculation would be dF/dθ = 150 lbs x cos(30°) = 129.9 lbs.

What does dF/dθ represent?

dF/dθ represents the rate of change of the force acting on the crate as the angle of the slope changes.

Why is it important to calculate dF/dθ for a crate?

Calculating dF/dθ allows us to determine the force acting on the crate at different angles, which is important for understanding the stability and safety of the crate.

Can I use a different unit for the weight of the crate when calculating dF/dθ?

Yes, as long as the unit for the weight is consistent throughout the calculation. For example, if the weight of the crate is given in kilograms, the result for dF/dθ will also be in kilograms.