Calculating Diluted Solutions: Understanding Decimal Notation | Helpful Guide

• Thread starter rovaniemi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses diluting a solution and the use of a formula to calculate the concentration after multiple dilutions. The solution is initially 10 mg/10 ml and is then diluted to 1/10th, resulting in a concentration of 0.1. This process is repeated with another dilution of 1/10, resulting in a concentration of 0.01. The conversation confirms that this is the correct way to calculate the concentration after multiple dilutions.
rovaniemi
I have a doubt that I would like to solve with your help.

The 1st solution I have is

10 mg/10 ml
from the above solution 1/10th is diluted that should be (0.1)
from the above 1/10th diluted solution another 1/10 is diluted again
from this once again diluted 1/10th solution 1/5 is again diluted
once again from this 1/5th diluted solution 2.5/5 is again diluted.

My question is is there any formula to calculate the decimal point. I mean 1/10th is denoted as 0.1th, but how to note multiple diluted solutions? from 1/10 to 1/10 to 1/5 to 2.5/5

Thanking you all in advance for your time and replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi rovaniemi! :smile:
rovaniemi said:
10 mg/10 ml
from the above solution 1/10th is diluted that should be (0.1)

i'm not sure what you mean

do you mean that 10 mg/10 ml is diluted to 1 mg/10 ml ?

or do you mean that 10 mg/10 ml is diluted to 9 mg/10 ml ?​

in the first case, the concentration is multiplied by 0.1

in the second case, the concentration is multiplied by 0.9

if you perform several dilutions, you multiply those factors

for example, if the concentration is multiplied once by a factor of 0.1 and once by a factor of 0.5, then the combined concentration is 0.1 times 0.5, = a factor of 0.05 :wink:

Likes 1 person
Hi Tiny Tim,

Thanks for the reply. Just need to confirm what I understood it correct.

I have used the first case where 10mg/10ml is diluted to 1/10

Now it is 0.1.

If I dilute it again to 1/10 .

Then the solution is now 0.1 times 0.1 , so 0.01

Hope this is how it is?

Thank you

rovaniemi said:
I have used the first case where 10mg/10ml is diluted to 1/10

Now it is 0.1.

If I dilute it again to 1/10 .

Then the solution is now 0.1 times 0.1 , so 0.01

Hope this is how it is?

yup! :biggrin:

you just keep multiplying! :smile:

Greetings,

Thank you for bringing your doubt to my attention. The formula for calculating diluted solutions is C1V1=C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume. In this case, the initial concentration is 10 mg/10 ml, and the final concentration is 2.5 mg/5 ml. By plugging in these values into the formula, we can calculate the number of dilutions needed.

To make the calculations easier, we can convert the initial concentration to 1 mg/ml. This means that for each 1 ml of solution, there is 1 mg of the substance. Now, for the first dilution, we have 1 mg/ml and we want to end up with 0.5 mg/ml. By using the formula, we can calculate that we need to dilute the solution by a factor of 2 (C1V1=C2V2, 1 mg/ml x V1 = 0.5 mg/ml x 1 ml, V1 = 0.5 ml). This means that we need to add 0.5 ml of solvent (such as water) to 0.5 ml of the initial solution to get a final concentration of 0.5 mg/ml.

For the second dilution, we have 0.5 mg/ml and we want to end up with 0.2 mg/ml. By using the formula, we can calculate that we need to dilute the solution by a factor of 2.5 (C1V1=C2V2, 0.5 mg/ml x V1 = 0.2 mg/ml x 1 ml, V1 = 0.4 ml). This means that we need to add 0.4 ml of solvent to 0.4 ml of the previous diluted solution to get a final concentration of 0.2 mg/ml.

We can continue this process for each subsequent dilution, always using the final concentration as the initial concentration for the next dilution. As for the decimal notation, it is simply a way to represent fractions in a more compact and convenient form. Each time we dilute by a factor of 10, we move the decimal point one place to the left. For example, 1/10 is equivalent to 0.1, 1/100 is equivalent to

Related to Calculating Diluted Solutions: Understanding Decimal Notation | Helpful Guide

What is the purpose of calculating a solution?

Calculating a solution allows scientists to find answers to questions or problems that require mathematical or analytical methods. It is used to make predictions, analyze data, and understand complex systems.

What are the steps involved in calculating a solution?

The steps involved in calculating a solution may vary depending on the problem or question at hand, but generally include identifying the variables, setting up equations or models, solving the equations, and interpreting the results.

What are some common methods used to calculate a solution?

Some common methods used to calculate a solution include algebraic manipulation, numerical approximation, statistical analysis, and computer simulations. The choice of method depends on the complexity and nature of the problem.

How do scientists ensure the accuracy of their calculated solutions?

Scientists ensure the accuracy of their calculated solutions by using reliable data, double-checking their calculations, and using appropriate mathematical or statistical techniques. They may also compare their results to previous studies or conduct experiments to validate their findings.

Can calculated solutions be used to make predictions?

Yes, calculated solutions can be used to make predictions about future outcomes or behaviors. However, the accuracy of these predictions depends on the accuracy of the data and assumptions used in the calculation.