Calculating Dimensional Change in 2-D Loading System with Mechanical Principles

In summary: So your final equation would be: 150,000,000/20x10^{-6} or 60000 Newtons/mm2.Then to get the axial strain i divided the stress 150,000,000 by the Elastic modulus 200x10 to the power of 9 which gave me 0.00075.Then to get the change in the x direction i multiply the strain in the x direction by the orignal length, 0.00075 x 1 = 0.0075m or 0.75mm ?Then to get the lateral or transverse strain i multiply poisson's ratio by the axial strain. 0.3 x 0.0075 = 0.000225
tone999
Hey guys I am a first timer here. I need some help with a couple of questions I am quite stumped.

1. A bar in a 2-D loading system is 1 metre long and 20 millimeters square in section before loading. Determine the change in its "x" and "y" dimensions if E=200GPa and Poisson's Ratio is 0.3

The force acting in the "x" direction is 60KN and in the "y" direction 40KN.

ok, i know i have to find the stress in the x and y directions first. By dividing the Force by the Area of the bar. e.g. 60000 Newtons/ mm2.

i can't seem to work out what the area of the bar would be, i dnt understand "20 millimeters square in section" i need the area in mm2 also.

Then i would work out the combined strain in the xx direction and yy direction.

Finally to work out the change in length i multiply the strain by the original length.

Any feed back would be great, thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tone999 said:
1. A bar in a 2-D loading system is 1 metre long and 20 millimeters square in section before loading. Determine the change in its "x" and "y" dimensions if E=200GPa and Poisson's Ratio is 0.3

The force acting in the "x" direction is 60KN and in the "y" direction 40KN.

ok, i know i have to find the stress in the x and y directions first. By dividing the Force by the Area of the bar. e.g. 60000 Newtons/ mm2.

i can't seem to work out what the area of the bar would be, i dnt understand "20 millimeters square in section" i need the area in mm2 also.
You are directly given the area of the cross section. The area is [tex]A=20 mm^2[/tex] You will need to convert that to [tex]m^2[/tex]. So now you have the combined tensile stress with the bending stress. You also have Poisson's ratio for calculating the transverse strain.

tone999 said:
Then i would work out the combined strain in the xx direction and yy direction.

Finally to work out the change in length i multiply the strain by the original length.

Any feed back would be great, thanks
From there on out you seem to have a good grasp of the problem.

Hi Fred thanks for the reply :). I think i got a little messed up with my formula but hopefully its ok this time if you could take a look?

To get the stress in the axial direction i divided the force (60,000N) by the area 20mm2 (0.0004m) which gave me 150,000,000 or 150x10 to the power of 6.

Then to get the axial strain i divided the stress 150,000,000 by the Elastic modulus 200x10 to the power of 9 which gave me 0.00075.

Then to get the change in the x direction i multiply the strain in the x direction by the orignal length, 0.00075 x 1 = 0.0075m or 0.75mm ?

Then to get the lateral or transverse strain i multiply poisson's ratio by the axial strain. 0.3 x 0.0075 = 0.000225

Finally to get the change in the y direction i multiply the y strain by the original length 0.000225 x 0.02 = -0.0045mm

Does that sound right?

tone999 said:
To get the stress in the axial direction i divided the force (60,000N) by the area 20mm2 (0.0004m) which gave me 150,000,000 or 150x10 to the power of 6.

Watch out for the units! [tex]1 [mm^2] = 1 \cdot 10^{-6} [m^2][/tex].

Like was already mentioned, your units conversion is not correct on your area. The original area is [tex]A = 20 mm^2[/tex], that equates to [tex]A = 20x10^{-6} m^2 [/tex]

FAQ: Calculating Dimensional Change in 2-D Loading System with Mechanical Principles

1. What is dimensional change in a 2-D loading system?

Dimensional change refers to the change in size, shape, or position of an object in a two-dimensional loading system. It is caused by the application of external forces on the object, which can result in stretching, compression, bending, or twisting.

2. How do mechanical principles apply to calculating dimensional change?

Mechanical principles, such as Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law, provide the foundation for understanding how forces affect the dimensional change of an object. These principles can be used to calculate the magnitude and direction of forces, as well as the resulting deformation and displacement of the object.

3. What factors affect dimensional change in a 2-D loading system?

The amount and direction of applied forces, as well as the properties of the object, such as its material and shape, can affect the dimensional change in a 2-D loading system. The geometry of the loading system, such as the type of support and loading conditions, can also play a role.

4. Can dimensional change be predicted accurately?

Calculating dimensional change in a 2-D loading system involves making assumptions and simplifications, so the results may not be completely accurate. However, with proper understanding and application of mechanical principles, the predicted dimensional change can be a close approximation to the actual change observed in real-world systems.

5. How can dimensional change be minimized in a 2-D loading system?

Dimensional change can be minimized by using materials with high strength and stiffness, designing the loading system to distribute forces evenly, and considering the effects of temperature and moisture. Additionally, applying forces within the elastic range of the material can prevent excessive deformation and maintain the original shape of the object.

Back