Calculating Dimensions of a Sofa: A Scientific Approach

• MHB
  • Thread starter sofahelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the person is trying to 3D model a specific sofa, the Bowie sofa from Wewood. They are unsure of the dimensions of each segment and are wondering if there is enough information to figure it out. They mention that the width of the "double" sofa is 220 centimeters and the corresponding measurement for the "single" sofa is 113 centimeters, with a ratio of 1.95. They clarify that they are looking for the length, width, and height of each individual pillow or segment.
sofahelp
I'm trying to 3D model a specific sofa but I can't figure out the exact dimensions of each segment. I'm reasonably certain all four segments are the same size. Is there enough information here to work it out? It's the Bowie sofa from Wewood if you're curious. (Also not sure if this is the right board or not sorry if it isn't)

withoutdimension.jpg
withdimension.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 9.31.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 9.36.52 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 9.36.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 9.36.52 PM.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 9.31.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 9.31.23 PM.png
    211.2 KB · Views: 78
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Exactly what are you trying to do? Are you trying to get the dimensions of the parts of the "double" sofa from those of the "single" sofa? If so the the one thing you know is that the width of the "double" sofa is 220 (inches?) while the corresponding measurement for the "single" sofa is 113. That is a ratio of 220/113= 1.95, almost twice. Of course, some measurements, height and back to front distance don't change.

Ah, sorry. I'm trying to work out the length, width, and height of each individual pillow, or segment, and the measurements are in centimeters. I included the double sofa because I figured the length of it might provide more information.

Related to Calculating Dimensions of a Sofa: A Scientific Approach

What is extrapolation?

Extrapolation is the process of estimating or predicting values beyond the range of known data points by using mathematical techniques.

Why is extrapolation important in sofa dimensions?

Extrapolation allows us to estimate the dimensions of a sofa that has not been physically measured, based on existing data and patterns.

How accurate is extrapolation in determining sofa dimensions?

The accuracy of extrapolation depends on the quality and quantity of the data used, as well as the assumptions and methods used in the extrapolation process. It is important to carefully consider these factors and use multiple sources of data to improve accuracy.

What are some potential limitations of extrapolating sofa dimensions?

Extrapolation relies on the assumption that the patterns observed in existing data will continue into the future. However, this may not always be the case, especially if there are significant changes or disruptions in the environment or market for sofas.

How can extrapolation be used in designing sofas?

Extrapolation can be used to inform the design process by providing estimates of potential sofa dimensions that may be popular or in demand. This can help designers create products that are more likely to be successful in the market.