Calculating Displacement with Vectors

In summary, the problem involves finding the resultant displacement (magnitude and direction) of a car traveling from point A to point C. By constructing a vector diagram and using the equations \vec{R} = (A_{x} ) (B_{x} ) + (A_{y} ) (B_{y} ), A_{y} = (\vec{A}) (sin \theta), A_{x} = (\vec{A}) (cos \theta), B_{y} = (\vec{A}) (sin \theta), and B_{x} = (\vec{A}) (cos \theta), the displacement is found to be 4.3km at a bearing of 50 degrees. Other methods of
Angus Dolan

Homework Statement

Hello, I have a homework question that I'm having difficulty with, it is:
A car travels due east (bearing 90) from point A for 6km to point B and then North-west (bearing 315) for 4.0km to point C.
By constructing a vector diagram, or otherwise, find the resultant displacement (magnitude and direction) of the car at point C from A.

Homework Equations

I don't think pythagoras theorem works here, as there is no right-angled triangle present. Although, I may be incorrect.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn a vector diagram, head to tail, and measured the displacement, it comes to 4.3km at a bearing of 50. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can try other methods of finding vector C, you can find the components of vector A, and vector b

Remember finding the magnitude or resultant vector is
[itex]\vec{R}[/itex] = [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] + [itex]\vec{B}[/itex]

which is really
[itex]\vec{R}[/itex] = (A[itex]_{x}[/itex] ) (B[itex]_{x}[/itex] ) + (A[itex]_{y}[/itex] ) (B[itex]_{y}[/itex] )

A[itex]_{y}[/itex] = ([itex]\vec{A}[/itex]) (sin [itex]\theta[/itex])
A[itex]_{x}[/itex] = ([itex]\vec{A}[/itex]) (cos [itex]\theta[/itex])

B[itex]_{y}[/itex] = ([itex]\vec{A}[/itex]) (sin [itex]\theta[/itex])
B[itex]_{x}[/itex] = ([itex]\vec{A}[/itex]) (cos [itex]\theta[/itex])

The Ax, Ay, Bx, By equations are derived from this idea
xycomponents.gif

I would plug and chug for you, but I'm kind of confused by the bearings.

Don't rely on measuring the displacement vector. Sometimes the ruler isn't as precise, also it will help you in the long run to have these equations in your tool box.

Let me know if you solved it, or if it helped. So I can get some personal feedback, because I don't want to be misinforming people lol.

Related to Calculating Displacement with Vectors

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the change in position or location of an object. It is represented by an arrow pointing from the initial position to the final position of the object.

2. How is displacement calculated?

Displacement can be calculated by finding the difference between the final and initial position of an object. This can be done by subtracting the initial position vector from the final position vector.

3. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are represented by an arrow and can be added, subtracted, and multiplied to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

4. How do you represent displacement with vectors?

Displacement can be represented by a vector with its tail at the initial position and its head at the final position of the object. The length of the vector represents the magnitude of displacement and the direction of the vector represents the direction of displacement.

5. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if the chosen positive direction is east, a negative displacement value would mean that the object has moved west.