Calculating Distance and Speed: Solving a Robert Service Question

• Thread starter richezzy
  • Start date
In summary, Robert Service completed a trip of 183.333 km with a full speed of 5 dogs over the course of 24 hours. If the two fickle dogs had stayed on the job for an additional 50 km, he would have arrived 24 hours later than he would have had the full speed been maintained.
richezzy

Homework Statement

Robert Service race down the frozen Mackenzie river to rendezvous with Sam McGee who lay dying in a camp. He had a team of five huskies pulling his sled at full speed for 24 hours, then 2 dogs ran off. The trip continued at 3/5 the original speed
and he reached his goal 48 hours later than he would have had the full speed been maintained. If the the two fickle dogs had stayed on the job for an additional 50km, he would arrive 24 hours late instead. What distance did the trip cover?

Homework Equations

d= vt

The Attempt at a Solution

I believed the first equation was
d = (v x 24) + (3/5v x 48) and d+50 = v x 24, isolated the two d and solved for the original speed, however my teacher told me I was way off. I am not quite sure of how to approach this question, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The key seems to be the last bit of information. If the 2 dogs had stayed for 50 more km then he would have been 24 hours late, not 48. So those 2 dogs contributed a difference of 24 hours. How can you use that?

Yes. Your equation has two unknowns, d and v. To solve for v, you need to know d and to get that you need to use the last bit of information, that you did not use, to get a second equation.

I got the same question,
so in the final part he would travel 50km in 24 hours
and he would have also traveled 50km in 24 hours with 3 dogs
and in the first 24 hours it would be 50/3 x 5 = 83.3333
so total distance would equal 50 + 50 + 83.333 = 183.333km?
cheya richezzzyy

Actually, I set a system of five equations with five unknowns. The unknowns are distance traveled, speed with five dogs, remaining time employed (i.e. apart from the 24 hours) had the full speed been maintained, remaining time employed with three dogs in the first situation, and remaining time employed with three dogs in the latter case. The answer is not 183.333 km.

I have the possible answers for this question from my teacher:100, 133, 167, 200, or 267 (all kilometers)

Good question this, you need to write everything clearly and continue even when it looks impossible. Calculate everything you can and you'll get there.

Related to Calculating Distance and Speed: Solving a Robert Service Question

1. Who is Robert Service?

Robert Service was a British-Canadian poet and writer, best known for his poems about the Yukon and the Klondike Gold Rush. He lived from 1874 to 1958.

2. What is the "Robert Service question"?

The "Robert Service question" refers to a line from Service's poem "The Spell of the Yukon," which asks, "Have you ever stood where the silences brood, and the vastness you've faced with a grin?" This line has become a popular phrase to describe the feeling of being alone in the wilderness and facing the challenges of nature.

3. What are some famous works by Robert Service?

Some of Robert Service's most famous works include "The Shooting of Dan McGrew," "The Cremation of Sam McGee," "The Spell of the Yukon," and "The Call of the Wild." He also wrote several novels, including "The Trail of '98" and "The Poisoned Paradise."

4. How did Robert Service's writing influence the development of the American West?

Robert Service's writing contributed to the romanticized image of the American West as a wild and untamed frontier. His poems and novels captured the spirit of adventure and survival in the wilderness, which influenced the development of the Western genre in literature and film.

5. What is the significance of Robert Service's writing today?

Robert Service's writing continues to be popular and influential, especially in Canada and the American West. His works are still widely read and studied, and his poems are often recited at events and gatherings. Service's writing also provides a unique perspective on the history and culture of the Yukon and the Klondike Gold Rush.