Calculating Distance Between Ions in Sodium Chloride Crystal Structure

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance between two ions in a crystal structure of sodium chloride. Using the Pythagorean theorem, the distance is found to be 0.487nm, as shown by the book's answer. The solution involves two right triangles, one being the face diagonal of the cube and the other being the diagonal from one corner to the opposite corner. The length of this diagonal is found to be x√3, where x is the length of each edge of the cube.
1irishman

Homework Statement

A drawing shows sodium and chloride ions positioned at the corners of a cube that is part of the crystal structure of sodium chloride. The edge of the cube is 0.281nm in length. Find the distance between the sodium ion located at one corner of the cube and the chloride ion located on the diagonal at the opposite corner.

Homework Equations

I'm thinking pythagorean theorem and one or more of the trig functions perhaps?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well...I figured the diameter if the cube is drawn inside a circle is 2(0.281)=0.562nm.
Not sure what to do this...it's difficult for me to conceptualize.

(The answer in the book is 0.487nm)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just Pythagoras. If each edge of the cube has length x, then A diagonal of one side, say, the base, is given by [itex]d^2= x^2+ x^2= 2x^2[/itex] so that [itex]d= x\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Now, that "face diagonal" together with a vertical edge gives you another right triangle having the diagonal of the cube from one corner to the opposite corner as hypotenuse. [itex]D^2= x^2+ d^2= x^2+ 2x^2= 3x^2[/itex]. That diagonal has length [itex]D= x\sqrt{3}[/itex].

so is this two triangles?

maybe I'm confused because of the variables you are using...i'm use to seeing a,b,c with pythagoras equations..i know it doesn't make a difference..but for us newbies it kinda does sometimes make it easier to picture. I"m trying to visualize what this would all look like if flatttened out i guess.

Related to Calculating Distance Between Ions in Sodium Chloride Crystal Structure

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving right triangles and to model periodic phenomena such as waves and oscillations.

What are the three main trigonometric functions?

The three main trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are ratios of the sides of a right triangle and are used to calculate the angles and lengths of the triangle.

What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 that is centered at the origin of a coordinate system. It is used in trigonometry to relate the values of the trigonometric functions to the coordinates of points on the circle.

What are the common applications of trigonometry?

Trigonometry is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, navigation, and astronomy. It is also used in everyday life for tasks such as measuring heights and distances, calculating angles, and designing structures.

How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry?

To improve your understanding of trigonometry, it is important to practice solving problems and working with the trigonometric functions. You can also use visual aids, such as diagrams and animations, to help you visualize the concepts. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending a trigonometry class can also improve your understanding.