Calculating Distance Between Two Rocks When Thrown at 30 Degrees

In summary, the problem involves two rocks being thrown from the top of a hill at an angle of 30 degrees and initial speed of 13m/s. The question is how far apart they will be when they both touch the ground. The rock thrown below the horizontal line has an initial vertical velocity of -6.5m/s, while the one thrown above has an initial vertical velocity of 6.5m/s.
flash21
some body help me...it is very simple...somebody throws two rocks from the top of a hill, one above the horizontal line and the other rock below the horizontal line, at an angle of 30 degrees for both rocks and the inicial speed is 13m/s for both rocks as well...the quiestion is how far does the rock 1 is from rock two when they both touch the ground..(rock 1 is the one below horizontal line...rock 2 over the hor...line)...wht i do not know is if wheter rock one(going down) has an inicial speed of 6.5m/s or 13m/s...by the way 6.5m/s comes from the inicial vertical velocity= (sin30)(13m/s)...

probelm.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing a picture of the problem, it may help you visualize what is going on better.

i have the picture in my book..just tellme if you know how to calculate the inical speed when a body is thrown downward at an angle of 30 degrees (below the horizontal line) with an initial speed of 13m/s?is it the same speed as the inicial vertical velocity or it is only the inicial speed given..?

flash21 said:
i have the picture in my book..just tellme if you know how to calculate the inical speed when a body is thrown downward at an angle of 30 degrees (below the horizontal line) with an initial speed of 13m/s?is it the same speed as the inicial vertical velocity or it is only the inicial speed given..?

the initial horizontal speed is 13cos(30). The initial vertical speed is 13sin(-30) = -13sin(30). in other words the initial vertical speed is 13sin(30) downwards.

i suppose that it is -6.5 then?

flash21 said:
i suppose that it is -6.5 then?

Yes, the one thrown downward at 30 degrees below the horizontal has initial vertical velocity -6.5m/s.

The one thrown above has initial vertical velocity 6.5m/s.

Related to Calculating Distance Between Two Rocks When Thrown at 30 Degrees

What is the formula for calculating the distance between two rocks when thrown at 30 degrees?

The formula for calculating distance using the angle of 30 degrees is d = (v2 * sin(2θ))/g, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle in radians, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do I determine the initial velocity of the rocks?

The initial velocity can be determined by measuring the speed of the rocks as they are thrown or by using a formula such as v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time it takes for the rocks to travel that distance.

What units should I use for the measurements?

The units used for the measurements should be consistent. For example, if the initial velocity is measured in meters per second, then the distance should also be measured in meters and the time in seconds.

How does the angle affect the distance between the two rocks?

The angle at which the rocks are thrown will affect the distance due to the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity. A higher angle will result in a longer distance, while a lower angle will result in a shorter distance.

Are there any external factors that could affect the accuracy of the calculations?

Yes, there are external factors that could affect the accuracy of the calculations, such as air resistance, wind, and the surface of the ground. These factors may cause the rocks to deviate from their expected trajectory, resulting in a difference between the calculated and actual distance.