Calculating Distance Deflected by Earth's Magnetic Field for 3.4g Bullet

In summary, a 3.4g bullet with a speed of 160 m/s and a net charge of 13.5 x 10^-9 C will be deflected from its path by an unknown distance due to the Earth's magnetic field of 5x10^-5T after traveling 1 km. The formula r=mv/qB may be used to solve this problem, but an angle may also be needed. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the problem was solved using projectile motion.
TickleMeElma
A 3.4g bullet moves with a speed of 160 m/s perpendicular to the Earth's magnetic field of 5x10^-5T. If the bullet possesses a net charge of 13.5 x 10^-9 C, by what distance will it be deflected from its path due to the Earth's magnetic field after it has traveled 1 km?

I am confused. Do I use r=mv/qB? Do I need an angle? I am confused by the way this question is phrased. Plsease help!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
i forget the exact way of doing this problem, but i remember that it involves projectile motion

Thanks so much for your input. I solved it, you were right. :)

Related to Calculating Distance Deflected by Earth's Magnetic Field for 3.4g Bullet

1. How is the distance deflected by Earth's magnetic field calculated for a 3.4g bullet?

The distance deflected by Earth's magnetic field for a 3.4g bullet can be calculated using the formula D = (m*v*B)/(q*l), where D is the distance deflected, m is the mass of the bullet, v is the velocity, B is the strength of Earth's magnetic field, q is the charge of the bullet, and l is the length of the bullet.

2. What is the mass of the bullet used in the calculation?

The mass of the bullet used in the calculation is 3.4 grams, as specified in the question.

3. What is the velocity of the bullet used in the calculation?

The velocity of the bullet used in the calculation can vary depending on the specific scenario, but it is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. How is the strength of Earth's magnetic field determined for this calculation?

The strength of Earth's magnetic field can be determined using a magnetic field strength meter or by consulting a magnetic field map for the specific location where the calculation is being performed. The strength of Earth's magnetic field also varies depending on location and can be affected by factors such as altitude and solar activity.

5. What is the purpose of calculating the distance deflected by Earth's magnetic field for a 3.4g bullet?

The purpose of this calculation is to understand how Earth's magnetic field can affect the trajectory of a projectile, such as a bullet, and to ensure accuracy in shooting or other activities that involve the use of magnetic compasses or navigation systems. It can also be used to study the behavior of magnetic fields and their impact on objects in motion.