Calculating Distance on a Rollercoaster Using Impulse Method

In summary, the conversation is about finding the average force lost to friction in a project where a ball is rolled down a "roller coaster" track with two humps. The speaker has measured all the necessary data and calculated the energy lost to friction, but is struggling to find the distance in order to use the equation W=F x d to solve for the average force of friction. The other participant suggests using time and measuring the track to find the distance, or using impulse if the initial and final velocities are known.
Frank_Horrigan
I am doing a project and one of the questions is to find the average force lost to friction. We measured a ball going down a "roller coaster" (it had 2 humps on it). WE have all the speeds and distances and accelerations, Now i calculated the energy lost to friction by taking the initial gravitational energy and subtracting the gravitational energy and kintetic energy after the first drop. So now I have the W in W=F x d but I can't figure out how to get the distance. Is there a way to calculate it or do I have to go measure it? It doesn't have a constant acceleration so I can't think of how I could calculate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't really find the "force" lost to friction, since the force isn't conserved or anything nice like that. The energy lost to friction is a much nicer answer.

The friction also is very unlikely to be constant. If you want to figure out average friction, you might want to try using time. Getting the distance will involve measuring the track.

Nate that is what I am supposed to find, the Average force of friction. But I don't know what to do because don't i need a distance to use the equation W=F x d to solve for F?

I do have the times but i can not figure out how to encorporate them to find the average force of friction.

Well, if it's a physical experiment you should probably pull out the measuring tape.

What about using impulse, if you have the time and initial and final velocities? Then F(ave)*t = m*(Vf-Vi).

Related to Calculating Distance on a Rollercoaster Using Impulse Method

What is the distance traveled on a rollercoaster?

The distance traveled on a rollercoaster depends on the length of the track, as well as the speed and acceleration of the ride. It can range from a few hundred feet to several thousand feet.

How is distance calculated on a rollercoaster?

The distance on a rollercoaster is calculated using the formula d = 0.5 * a * t^2, where d is distance, a is acceleration, and t is time. This formula takes into account the changing speed and direction of the rollercoaster.

Can the distance on a rollercoaster be measured in different units?

Yes, the distance on a rollercoaster can be measured in various units such as feet, meters, or kilometers. It depends on the system of measurement used in the country where the ride is located.

Does the distance on a rollercoaster affect the intensity of the ride?

Yes, the distance traveled on a rollercoaster can affect the intensity of the ride. Longer distances with more twists, turns, and drops can result in a more intense experience for riders.

How does gravity impact the distance traveled on a rollercoaster?

Gravity plays a crucial role in determining the distance traveled on a rollercoaster. The force of gravity pulls the rollercoaster down and causes it to accelerate, resulting in a longer distance traveled and a more thrilling ride.