Calculating Distance Traveled by a Particle using Differentiation and Graphing

In summary, the position of a particle along x-axis at time 't' is given by x=1+t-t2.The distance travelled by the particle in the first second is.
takando12

Homework Statement

The position of a particle along x-axis at time 't' is given by x=1+t-t2.The distance traveled by the particle in the first second is.
A) 1m B) 2m C) 2.5m D) 3m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Differentiating x wrt t we get, v=1-2t and double differentiating x wrt to t we get a=-2m/s2.
I plotted a V-t graph. The velocity will be 0 at t=0.5 sec , 1 at t=0sec and -1 at t=1 sec. Finding the area under the graph I got 0.5m. Where have I gone wrong? I got 2.5m when I substituted t=0.5 in x and multiplied it by 2. But why is the graph method not working?

Physics news on Phys.org
takando12 said:
Differentiating x wrt t we get, v=1-2t and double differentiating x wrt to t we get a=-2m/s2.
I plotted a V-t graph. The velocity will be 0 at t=0.5 sec , 1 at t=0sec and -1 at t=1 sec. Finding the area under the graph I got 0.5m. Where have I gone wrong? I got 2.5m when I substituted t=0.5 in x and multiplied it by 2. But why is the graph method not working?
That's more complicated than it needs to be.

The function x(t) already gives you the position at each time, so there's no need to differentiate.

takando12 said:
Finding the area under the graph I got 0.5m
How did you find the area under the curve? By integrating the velocity w.r.t. time? That just gets you back to the original function (except now you lost information about the initial position). Why differentiate just to integrate? It's redundant (and leaves more room for mistakes).

Nathanael said:
The function x(t) already gives you the position at each time, so there's no need to differentiate.
I differentiated it to find out when the velocity will be 0. Only after knowing that can i split the time period and use the x(t) to find the distance.
Nathanael said:
How did you find the area under the curve? By integrating the velocity w.r.t. time? That just gets you back to the original function (except now you lost information about the initial position). Why differentiate just to integrate? It's redundant (and leaves more room for mistakes).
I drew a v-t graph and there were two triangles , i added their area using 1/2*b*h*2.
[1/2*1/2*1] + [1/2*1/2*1]=0.5 m.

takando12 said:
I differentiated it to find out when the velocity will be 0. Only after knowing that can i split the time period and use the x(t) to find the distance.
Good so far.
takando12 said:
I drew a v-t graph and there were two triangles , i added their area using 1/2*b*h*2.
[1/2*1/2*1] + [1/2*1/2*1]=0.5 m.
Good again.
It's the 2.5m answer that's wrong. The question asks for the distance travelled; the particle didn't start at 0.

haruspex said:
Good so far.

Good again.
It's the 2.5m answer that's wrong. The question asks for the distance travelled; the particle didn't start at 0.
But 0.5 is not even in the options. And the answer key says it's 2.5m. Just to be clear, when x(t) =1 for t=0 sec. So when I calculate for 0.5 sec, the value of x I get is inclusive of the 1m in the beginning? So I should subtract x(0.5)-1= 1.25-1=0.25. And so the final answer 0.25*2=0.5 fits with the v-t graph.
So the options are wrong?

takando12 said:
Sorry about that, I misinterpreted the question. (I thought it was asking for the displacement.)

takando12 said:
But 0.5 is not even in the options. And the answer key says it's 2.5m. Just to be clear, when x(t) =1 for t=0 sec. So when I calculate for 0.5 sec, the value of x I get is inclusive of the 1m in the beginning? So I should subtract x(0.5)-1= 1.25-1=0.25. And so the final answer 0.25*2=0.5 fits with the v-t graph.
So the options are wrong?
Yes, the options are wrong, good job.

(As Haruspex pointed out, the answer is probably meant to be 2.5m, but that is a mistake. Your answer is correct.)

Nathanael said:
Sorry about that, I misinterpreted the question. (I thought it was asking for the displacement.)Yes, the options are wrong, good job.

(As Haruspex pointed out, the answer is probably meant to be 2.5m, but that is a mistake. Your answer is correct.)
Thank you so much sir or rather sirs.

Related to Calculating Distance Traveled by a Particle using Differentiation and Graphing

What is the definition of distance traveled by a particle?

The distance traveled by a particle is the total length that the particle has moved from its initial position to its final position.

What are some common units of measurement for distance traveled?

The most commonly used units of measurement for distance traveled are meters (m) and kilometers (km). However, other units such as centimeters (cm) and miles (mi) can also be used.

How is distance traveled different from displacement?

Distance traveled is a scalar quantity that represents the total length of the path traveled by a particle, while displacement is a vector quantity that measures the straight-line distance and direction from the initial position to the final position of the particle.

What factors can affect the distance traveled by a particle?

The distance traveled by a particle can be affected by various factors such as the initial velocity, acceleration, and time elapsed. Other factors such as friction, air resistance, and external forces can also impact the distance traveled.

How is distance traveled related to speed and time?

The distance traveled is directly proportional to the speed of the particle and the time it takes to travel. This means that the greater the speed and longer the time, the greater the distance traveled will be.