Calculating Distance Traveled by Sam on Jet-Powered Skis

In summary, Sam, who weighs 65 kg, uses his jet-powered skis to take off from rest up a 50 m high, 10° frictionless slope. With a thrust of 160 N, he maintains a tilt of 10° after becoming airborne. Using the given information, including acceleration, length of slope, and initial velocities and accelerations, it is unclear how far Sam will land from the base of the cliff. Further information or clarification is needed to determine this distance.
powderchick81
I need help desperatley with this problem.

Sam (65 kg) takes off (from rest) up a 50 m high, 10° frictionless slope on his jet-powered skis. The skis have a thrust of 160 N. He keeps his skis tilted at 10° after becoming airborne. How far does Sam land from the base of the cliff?

I believe I'm almost there but I'm stuck towards the end. :frown:

Any help would be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you've done so far, so we can see if you're on the right track. We don't know where you're stuck!

I've gotten this far

acceleration up the slope = .76 m/s^2

length of slope = 288m

velocity at the top of the slope = 20.9 m/s

initial velocity on the x-axis = 23.2 m/s

intial velocity on the y-axis = 4.10 m/s

initial acceleration on the x-axis = 2.42 m/s^2

initial acceleration on the y-axis = -7.34 m/s^2

Now I have no clue what to do.

I get the impression that he starts from rest at the bottom of the slope and accelerates up it until he goes over the top - 50 meters up - then he flies through the air until he reaches the ground again - on the same level that he started out from?

FAQ: Calculating Distance Traveled by Sam on Jet-Powered Skis

1. How do I solve this homework problem?

To solve a homework problem, it is important to first understand the question and the relevant concepts. Then, you can break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Use any given formulas or equations, and show all of your work. Finally, double check your answer to make sure it is accurate.

2. Where can I find help for my homework problem?

There are many resources available for help with homework problems. You can ask your teacher or classmates for clarification, utilize online tutorials or educational websites, or seek assistance from a tutor or study group. It is important to use credible and reliable sources for help.

3. How can I improve my understanding of the homework problem?

To improve your understanding of a homework problem, try explaining the concept or problem to someone else in your own words. You can also practice similar problems or look for additional examples to gain a better understanding. Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification when needed.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a homework problem?

If you are stuck on a homework problem, take a step back and try to approach it from a different angle. Break down the problem into smaller parts and try to solve each part separately. If you are still stuck, don't hesitate to ask for help or seek additional resources.

5. How do I manage my time effectively to complete my homework problems?

To manage your time effectively for completing homework problems, it is important to prioritize your tasks and create a schedule. Set aside dedicated study time, eliminate distractions, and take breaks when needed. Also, make sure to start your assignments early and don't procrastinate. This will give you enough time to seek help if needed and to double check your work before submitting it.

Back