Calculating Divergence Using the Divergence Theorem

In summary, the problem is to calculate the integral of the divergence of a vector field over a given region, using the divergence theorem. The vector field is simplified to (x^2 + y^2 + x^2)(x\hat{i} +y\hat{j} + z\hat{k}) and the solution involves finding the dot product of the vector field and the normal vector, which simplifies to 125 on the surface of the sphere. The correct answer is 4*pi*5^5 and the book's answer of 100pi is incorrect.
fluxions

Homework Statement

the problem is to calculate
[tex] \int (\nabla \cdot \vec{F}) d\tau [/tex]
over the region
[tex] x^2 + y^2 + x^2 \leq 25 [/tex]
where
[tex] \vec{F} = (x^2 + y^2 + x^2)(x\hat{i} +y\hat{j} + z\hat{k}) [/tex]
in the simplest manner possible.

Homework Equations

divergence theorem!

The Attempt at a Solution

Write
[tex] \vec{F} = |\vec{r}|^2 \vec{r} = |\vec{r}|^3 \hat{r}, [/tex]
so
[tex] \vec{F} \cdot \hat{n} = \vec{F} \cdot \hat{r} = |\vec{r}|^3 \hat{r} \cdot \hat{r} = |\vec{r}|^3 = 125, [/tex]
since
[tex] \hat{n} = \hat{r} [/tex]
and
[tex] |\vec{r}| = 5 [/tex]
along the surface of the sphere.
Then, invoking the divergence theorem, we obtain:
[tex] \int (\nabla \cdot \vec{F}) d\tau = \oint_{\partial{\tau}} \vec{F} \cdot \hat{n} d\sigma = \oint_{\partial{\tau}} 125 d\sigma = 125 \cdot 4 \cdot \pi \cdot 5^2 [/tex]

the back of the book gives 100pi as the answer (and I've checked the errata for the book; no correction has been made). am i wrong? or is the book?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's also not very hard to integrate the divergence over the interior of the sphere. I get 4*pi*5^5. It sure looks to me like the book answer is wrong.

Dick said:
It's also not very hard to integrate the divergence over the interior of the sphere. I get 4*pi*5^5. It sure looks to me like the book answer is wrong.

Great, thanks much!

Related to Calculating Divergence Using the Divergence Theorem

1. What is the Divergence theorem problem?

The Divergence theorem is a mathematical concept in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of the field over the given volume. It is also known as Gauss's theorem or Ostrogradsky's theorem.

2. What is the significance of the Divergence theorem in science and engineering?

The Divergence theorem is an important tool in the field of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics and engineering. It allows for the calculation of flux through a closed surface, which is useful in understanding the behavior of fluid flow and electric fields.

3. How is the Divergence theorem problem solved?

The Divergence theorem can be solved by first computing the divergence of the given vector field and then integrating it over the given volume. This can be done using various numerical and analytical methods, such as the finite element method or the method of Green's functions.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Divergence theorem?

The Divergence theorem has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to analyze fluid flow in pipes, electric and magnetic fields in electronic devices, and even the flow of financial markets.

5. Are there any limitations to the Divergence theorem?

Like any mathematical theorem, the Divergence theorem has its limitations. It is only applicable to vector fields that are continuous and differentiable, and the surface and volume must also be well-behaved. Additionally, the Divergence theorem is only valid in three-dimensional space and does not apply to higher dimensions.