Calculating drop heights based on known forces

• Thread starter robwrightham
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drop Forces
In summary, in order to calculate the height at which an object would need to be dropped to experience the same force as a given air piston, you need to know the mass of the object, the force of the air piston, the time period of the force, and the distance over which the object decelerates after dropping. The time period can be easily calculated, but the distance must be determined separately.
robwrightham
I have a fixed object of known mass (12kg) being impacted by an air pistion of known force (), I desperatly need to be able to calculate what height an object would have to be dropped to have the same force imparted to it that a specific known piston would.
what equations do i use and what other data do i require?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know the time period the force is acting and the distance on which the object decelerates after dropping.

haael said:
You need to know the time period the force is acting and the distance on which the object decelerates after dropping.

the time period is easily calculated, but what do you mean by "distance on which the object decelerates after dropping" how do i calculate this?

FAQ: Calculating drop heights based on known forces

1. What is the formula for calculating drop height based on known forces?

The formula for calculating drop height is: height = force / mass x acceleration due to gravity. This is known as the Law of Conservation of Energy.

2. How do you determine the force of impact when dropping an object from a certain height?

To determine the force of impact, you can use the formula: force = mass x acceleration due to gravity x height. This will give you the force in Newtons (N).

3. Can you calculate the drop height if the mass and force are known?

Yes, you can use the formula: height = force / mass x acceleration due to gravity. However, it is important to note that this calculation assumes no air resistance and a constant acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect the calculation of drop height?

Air resistance can affect the calculation of drop height by slowing down the object's acceleration due to gravity, therefore reducing the force of impact. This can result in a lower calculated drop height than the actual height.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated drop height?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated drop height. These include the shape and density of the object, as well as external forces such as wind or friction. It is important to consider these factors when using the formula to calculate drop height.

Back