Calculating Earth's Heat Loss: How to Find the Rate and Total Loss in One Hour

In summary, the Earth loses heat according to the equation \frac{dQ}{dt} = \sigmaAT4. The average temperature of the ground is 10°C, so the rate of heat loss is 2.9x1011 watts per square metre per hour.
kingstar

Homework Statement

On a clear night the Earth loses heat according the equation [itex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\sigma[/itex]AT4 If the average
temperature of the ground is 10°C, calculate the rate of heat loss, per square metre, by the Earth
and the total heat lost, per square metre, in one hour.

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/itex] = AT4

[itex]\sigma[/itex] = 5.7 x 10-8 W m-2 K-4

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'm not sure how you would do this? I've never been taught this equation and haven't found much information on it via google. So anyways what i did was assuming A was the surface area I found the area using 4[itex]\pi[/itex]r2 = 4 x pi x 6400,000^2 = 5.15x1014

Then Subbed the values into the equation: 5.15x1014 x (10)4 x 5.7 x 10-8 = 2.9 x 1011

I'm assuming this is the rate of heat loss, per square metre because its from a differential equation which is to do with rate of change...but then how do i work out the total heat loss, per square metre, per hour? Would i just times it by 60? :S

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the units of sigma. What is W and what does it mean?
Also, what units of T should you be using?

The area to be considered is 1 square meter ("per square meter"). What scale should be used for temperature (take a look at the units on ##\sigma##).

Oh crap, didnt see kelvin! :/

and is the W watts? Therefore its 1 kgm^2/s^3 so then that's square meter per second cubed? :S

So my new answer is

5.15x10^14 x 283^4 x 5.7 x 10^-8 = 1.88x10^17

Is that the rate of heat loss per metre square? :/

kingstar said:
So my new answer is

5.15x10^14 x 283^4 x 5.7 x 10^-8 = 1.88x10^17

Is that the rate of heat loss per metre square? :/

That's not a square meter.

A watt is also a joule/second.

4 x pi x (6400,000m)^2 = 5.15x10^14 m^2?

[itex]\frac{J}{s^2m^2K^4}[/itex]xK4xm2

So once that is done are you just left with J/s^2? :S

You're not asked for the heat loss rate from the entire surface area of the planet; just 1 square meter of it.

The result should be in units of energy/time, or watts (J/s).

Oh so would the area 4pi(0.5)^2 which is just pi...

Then sub that into the equation to get 1148 J/s

and then to find the total in an hour i would just do 1148 x 3600 =4.1x10^6 J/h

Is that it?

Is ##4 \pi 0.5^2## the same as one square meter? What's with the ##\pi## factor? This is a flat one square meter, not a sphere.

Woops, I'm making such stupid mistakes. The area of the square metre would just be 1, so put that into the equation 397.6 J/s

397 x 3600 = 1.4 x10^6 j/h

Is that it?

Yes, that looks better.

Thanks for the help! :D

FAQ: Calculating Earth's Heat Loss: How to Find the Rate and Total Loss in One Hour

What causes heat loss of the Earth?

The main cause of heat loss of the Earth is radiation. This is when heat energy is transferred from the Earth's surface into the atmosphere and outer space. Other factors that contribute to heat loss include convection, which is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and conduction, which is the transfer of heat through direct contact between objects.

How does the Earth maintain its internal heat?

The Earth maintains its internal heat through a process called radioactive decay. This is when radioactive elements within the Earth's core release heat as they decay. This heat is then transferred to the Earth's surface through conduction and convection. Additionally, the Earth's molten core also contributes to the maintenance of its internal heat.

What is the role of greenhouse gases in heat loss of the Earth?

Greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide and methane, play a significant role in heat loss of the Earth. These gases trap heat energy in the Earth's atmosphere, preventing it from escaping into outer space. This phenomenon, known as the greenhouse effect, contributes to the Earth's overall temperature and climate.

How does human activity contribute to heat loss of the Earth?

Human activity, specifically the burning of fossil fuels, releases large amounts of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. This increases the Earth's greenhouse effect and leads to a rise in global temperatures, resulting in heat loss from the Earth.

What are the potential consequences of excessive heat loss of the Earth?

If the Earth's heat loss is not balanced by heat gain, it can lead to a significant drop in the planet's overall temperature. This can have severe consequences, such as changes in climate patterns, disruption of ecosystems, and even the potential for a global ice age. Additionally, excessive heat loss can also have negative impacts on human health, agriculture, and infrastructure.

Back